Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  332
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Default Re: 2019 Driftless Pictures and Reports

A few from the last couple of weeks. The fall color run is on.

fish1.jpg

fish2.jpg

fish3.jpg

And we are down to the final 7 days, I had planned to get out last weekend but everything in my area was blown, Word on the street is fishing is good if you can find clear water, saw some nice pics and fish are turning on with water in the 50 degree range. Since we are a month or so out from the spawn, the fish should be feeding and in full bright spawning colors. Some of the browns look red and purple and the brook trout have hooked jaws and sport full colors.

Where did the time go? it was June two weeks ago, but I digress...

3. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

The one and only time of year I am glad I live in Iowa. October 15th is just another day. My wife had the AC on last week and the heat on just three days later. The big river is up some yet again from the recent hard rains. A hard frost should come soon enough and I will get on the water some finally. All is well as long as I don't get shot by a hunter.

5. Likes unknownflyman, Ard liked this post

This has been a frustrating year in regard to those Wisconsin Driftless creeks that I usually fish. Rainfall has been above average, and the good news is that the aquifers are in great shape. The bad news is that my favorite creeks have been blown out on several occasions.

7. Thanks unknownflyman thanked for this post
    Likes Ard liked this post

Hoping on getting out for two more days before season end. Looks like a brutal weekend with snow\sleet coming Friday and Saturday. Going to be chucking streamers to with the hope of catching a real nice one to end the season on a high note.

Tight lines fellas,

Bradley

9. Likes unknownflyman liked this post

Question Re: 2019 Driftless Pictures and Reports

Greetings gentlemen,

Got out today afternoon till dark for my season 2019 closer, you still have two more days.

Temperature 36 degrees.

Snow, rain, or more ice rain, sleet and windy.

Water temperature 45 degrees.

Hatch- none

Visible action, two risers. slow

To conclude the 2019 season I fished dry flies, while I skated up a number of fish this year, and swung up a few on streamers I really stuck with dry fly action this year and did pretty well. I worked hard today and ended up with a few fish in the net. It was cold, long johns, and my rain defender carhartt hoodie saved the day. It was 32 degrees when I got back to the truck at dark.

The river was high and gin clear to add to the tough conditions, I feel I really accomplished something catching wild brown trout on dry flies during snow, rain/ice with no visible surface feeding.

I saw one large head come up and feed along a log down river, I smiled and waded down in position keeping 60 feet between us, I studied the situation and where I had to cast, but it wasn't in the cards, right before I was going to cast a bald eagle came over me and flew right over the fishes lie. I didn't see a wake but I knew that big brown was gone, Ive seen him feed before on a couple occasions and he is a tough big wise fish in the steelhead size class. Needless to say I fished the area with no action.

Its right before the spawn and my usual beats were devoid of fish, apparently they don't spawn there, there is some gravel and I see some empty redds during the winter but most have moved up river and into the feeder creeks too I suppose.

It was a great season, I was happy to share the love with you guys, not every trip gets posted and only a small minority of fish get photographed but I hope you enjoyed my trip reports.

Those of you fishing yet, Good Luck and tight lines!

Last edited by unknownflyman; 10-14-2019 at 04:52 PM.

My final trip of Wisconsin's 2019 trout season wasn't as productive as Unknownflyman's, but it was good to get out.

I made it to one of the bigger trout rivers in Northern WI on Sunday afternoon, despite the rain/snow/sleet and a blown tire on my truck on the way there. Changing a tire on a wet gravel road when it's about 35 sucks, but at least the Vikings game was on the radio while I worked on it, and it's better than -10 and snowing or something.

The river was a bit high, but not too bad and reasonably clear. I swung and stripped streamers and a wet fly for a few hours through some good looking water, but never even had a bump. Oh well, the leaves were colorful and it felt good to be out in some crappy weather!

ryan

Well there she is, the last stick stick of butter of 2019. Caught on a black woolly bugger.

36003B09-66FC-4F15-98E0-F618FAE66836.jpg

That also brings a close to my first season of fly fishing. What a season it has been! Thank you to each and every one of you who have given advice along the way. This first season came with many botched net jobs out of excitement on big fish. A ton of long days of trial and error with few fish. And a whole lot of exploring my (newly found)home waters. However, the best part about this season is that I feel like I am only scratching the surface of this sport. Its gonna be a long few months till the season opens back up, but ill be plenty prepared come 2020.

I loved hearing all of your guys' pictures and reports! Let's keep it going next year, and maybe ill see a few of you out on the water this upcoming season.

Tight lines and happy tying,

Bradley

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920