Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  94
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: 2019 Driftless Pictures and Reports

I appreciate this thread and section of the forum.
    I’m a truck driver. Our biggest terminal is in **** Rapids, MN.
    I just decided to get back into fly fishing. I had a delivery pushed back over the weekend, a week ago. That was MT. I did a float trip down the Bitterroot that Sat. Decided I wanted to get back into fly fishing. Bought everything. It’s on its way or waiting at the terminal now.
    Thought I should look in on this area. Will be reading with interest. I go down through Wisconsin Dells a lot. Also down through Iowa a lot. Get up to Park Rapids MN. Have to admit. This area is too easy for my company to keep me rolling. Fear I might not have much waiting time here. I can drop a trailer for someone else to deliver. Take another. Like this weekend. Instead of waiting in **** Rapids all weekend to deliver. They got me out. I’m delivering in Dallas on Monday instead.
    Still very interested. I get all over the country. If time allows. I can fish. That’s only a last minute deal.
    Im still going to keep reading this section with interest. Have to have the info. Just in case I get a chance.

Don’t know why they block out that name? It’s short for Racoon.
    You might wonder about “get back in”. I almost died 15 years ago.
    I posted an intro in New Members.
    Hope I didn't goof posting in this thread.
    I might be able to take a day off to join you people. Even then, if planned, it's iffy. Trucking has it's demands.
    Last edited by SDMT; 05-13-2019 at 05:49 PM.

Well I can say that I'm hooked on fly fishing. I've been an avid conventional tackle fishermen my whole life. Growing up in milwaukee, inland trout fishing wasn't really a thing. Now that I am attending college in the driftless region of Wisconsin, I am almost overwhelmed with all of the trout streams and possibilities there are here. Here are some pictures from my first outing yesterday! (all caught on an elk hair caddis)

Any tips you would wanna give a beginner driftless angler would be much appreciated!

-Bradley

BE5D9B1B-37A2-4C9F-9528-20364A8CD488.jpg

First fly (11 of 11).jpg
    My fly fishing mentor and biology research partner, Samir

First fly (2 of 11).jpg
    The smaller ones are even prettier
    bradley brown modified (1 of 2).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SDMT View Post
    I appreciate this thread and section of the forum.
    Iím a truck driver. Our biggest terminal is in **** Rapids, MN.
    I just decided to get back into fly fishing. I had a delivery pushed back over the weekend, a week ago. That was MT. I did a float trip down the Bitterroot that Sat. Decided I wanted to get back into fly fishing. Bought everything. Itís on its way or waiting at the terminal now.
    Thought I should look in on this area. Will be reading with interest. I go down through Wisconsin Dells a lot. Also down through Iowa a lot. Get up to Park Rapids MN. Have to admit. This area is too easy for my company to keep me rolling. Fear I might not have much waiting time here. I can drop a trailer for someone else to deliver. Take another. Like this weekend. Instead of waiting in **** Rapids all weekend to deliver. They got me out. Iím delivering in Dallas on Monday instead.
    Still very interested. I get all over the country. If time allows. I can fish. Thatís only a last minute deal.
    Im still going to keep reading this section with interest. Have to have the info. Just in case I get a chance.

Donít know why they block out that name? Itís short for Racoon.
    You might wonder about ďget back inĒ. I almost died 15 years ago.
    I posted an intro in New Members.
    Hope I didn't goof posting in this thread.
    I might be able to take a day off to join you people. Even then, if planned, it's iffy. Trucking has it's demands.
    No worries. The unknowflyman meant this to be a Driftless trip thread. But we're a small group so thanks for stopping by to introduce yourself. And trust me I'd be really good with living in or near Koon Rapids. We have another member from nearby. The forum software tries to sniff out potentially racist comments. It is what it is, and we don't sweat it so much even though it is not actually a problem here.

4. Likes SDMT liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Moorish View Post
    Well I can say that I'm hooked on fly fishing. I've been an avid conventional tackle fishermen my whole life. Growing up in milwaukee, inland trout fishing wasn't really a thing. Now that I am attending college in the driftless region of Wisconsin, I am almost overwhelmed with all of the trout streams and possibilities there are here. Here are some pictures from my first outing yesterday! (all caught on an elk hair caddis)

Any tips you would wanna give a beginner driftless angler would be much appreciated!

-Bradley

BE5D9B1B-37A2-4C9F-9528-20364A8CD488.jpg

First fly (11 of 11).jpg
    My fly fishing mentor and biology research partner, Samir

First fly (2 of 11).jpg
    The smaller ones are even prettier
    bradley brown modified (1 of 2).jpg
    Welcome Bradley, and thanks for posting. When I have the option to travel farther, I'll trade a limit of stocker bows for a couple of those wild but smallish sized browns. Only advice I have for a new Driftless angler is keep fishing as often as your schedule allows. Looks like your having fun from here. That's what matters.

6. Thanks Raging Moorish thanked for this post
    Likes unknownflyman, SDMT liked this post

Welcome Bradly, great report and fish, we are lucky to have so much water and wild fish. You get some street cred from me sir. Look forward to reading your adventures.

8. Likes Raging Moorish, SDMT, ia_trouter liked this post

No sooner do I speak up. I’m sitting in Koon Rapids for two days. They just plain didn’t have another load going out sooner. I also discovered. We have a pond out back here. Practice fly casting.

Blog Entries

Just returned from my first trip to the Driftless (Wisconsin). I was hooked after my first stop. First thing I saw a riser and needed to slide down into the pasture creek for a casting position. It looked like a sandy bottom but my feet sank into the soft gummy mud bottom to mid calf and I fought my way back up the embankment. First lesson about the driftless, always need to continue to learn. I moved upstream and saw what looked to be a good hole. Stopped and casted a dry caddis with a pink squirrel dropper.......had 7-8 hits and brought 5 Browns to hand several hit the dry. I did cross the creek but alway probed with the wading staff or crossed at ripples.

I always value a trip on if I am planning a return when leaving........I am coming back, it was a great trip.

IMG_0759.jpg
    Thanks and have a great day
    Paul Mohler......Be safe out there

Welcome PM, Nice looking trout there, Welcome!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456