Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  140
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Default Re: 2019 Driftless Pictures and Reports

Really nice! its pouring all morning up here too. My report is coming. Great days Saturday and Sunday. We get two nice days and a week of cold and rain.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheflymn View Post
    From Saturday and Sunday. It's absolutely pouring here right now.

Attachment 16883

Attachment 16884

Attachment 16885

Attachment 16886

From a few weeks back:

Attachment 16887
    Some people had to work all weekend. It rained so damn hard it didn't matter anyway. Good thing the big river is down some now are we would be having another one of those bi-monthly hundred year floods.

Is that your wife or my sister-inlaw? I did a serious double take while scrolling by. She has a body double down here in Iowa.

3. Likes Ard, SDMT liked this post

Great day on the river yesterday, lots of bugs hatching and fluorescent green new growth everywhere, with all the rain and snow things are now growing fast. River temperature was 59 degrees and a comfortable 72 degrees and no wind on the river.

Fished my 2wt dry fly rod with CDC Caddis, Adams and blue wings. When I tie up caddis I always tie the four flavors of CDC for the driftless, Natural, BWO, Iron blue dun, Black.

I really need to study some on possible bugs hatching because I usually see new stuff and with lots of bugs its sometimes really difficult to figure out what some trout are feeding on, they all were not feeding on the same things. I also determined I need to take bug pics for later study and color charts.

I saw what looked like different sizes and colors of mayflies coming out of the river, large caddis escaping from the surface, little bouncy bugs that skipped around on the surface and the usual midges and what looked like little black stick caddis or stoneflies.

The bulk of my fish came on caddis, and after I saw a nice head and I grabbed a fly out of the air, it looked blue possibly a grey drake and there were not hatching in large numbers at all, so I changed to a long Iron blue dun CDC Caddis in size 16 and caught a very large fish and a couple others like him.

I saw a few really large brook trout feeding on something but I could`nt get them, I only caught two small brook trout, one self released and the other was just 4" and stunning in color.

Lots of fish from all year classes, which is always great to see on a wild fish river, and its always good to see some fish that's been around awhile, a couple with net marks and one nice fish looked like it was hooked recently with a treble but was healing up nicely.

Since I started really refining my dry fly presentation and using a bit lighter rig, I`ve caught a lot of larger fish and more fish on dry flies which is my favorite form of fly fishing, I love to swing and skate flies, nymphs are good sport but for me nothing matches surface action, and I got a lot of it yesterday, the clicker was screaming from noon till the end of legal.

A comical thing that happened and my largest fish of the day took place on cast one.

I stepped up to my entry point a safe spot to wade in and observe without spooking fish, its not great fish holding water, but it is fast and knee deep in a long run. So I am standing there, I view some bugs hatching and a few risers up and down the river, I see BWO and caddis and midges and flies. I decide to use caddis to start and in the BWO color CDC, I figure its good for prospecting.

I tie on, wade out a little bit and I had a bunch of slack out to avoid getting tangled up I flip the line upriver and stow my fly box in my vest and close zippers when out of the corner off my eye in the flow a giant brown comes up from the bottom in the fast water and hammers my fly.

The fish takes off and there is a bunch of fly line around my legs and out in the river, I start stripping and reeling, the fish is running and jumping and its big, eventually I get him on the reel and after a good battle I get him in my net and he is 20" or so. Of course my phone is in my truck. I pull the fly admire the large fish and dump the net, with a good chuckle.

The largest fish landed in a while, by accident, no skill required. I also wondered why the fish didn't spook and apparently knee deep fast water in bright sun at noon is good holding water for large browns. of course it all might have been an anomaly.

I`m back to using my fly vest, I missed it and on the last two outings it serves me better than any pack. I also picked up a fishpond magnetic net holder and bungie, I need a net on my back to feel comfortable. I guess I`m old but I don't care what the young hip fisherman like.

My pack is for long hiking trips and steelhead. Vest for everything else.

And with that said on to the pics......

Not all of them are big

A 12" fish scrappy fighter

Plenty of nice ones

Time to call it a day.
    Last edited by unknownflyman; 05-28-2019 at 07:29 AM.

Blog Entries

What a day!

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

6. Likes unknownflyman, SDMT liked this post

6_1_19_11.jpg

6_1_19_3.jpg

6_1_19_9.jpg

From this past weekend.

Cool Re: 2019 Driftless Pictures and Reports

After those posts. Now for the really exciting. (Har har)
    This pic is of the pond at the back of my companies Koon Rapids terminal. Oh the suffering! I have to practice casting at work! That’s my new Aetos 9’5wt and Battenkill reel. Love them. Truly, much of why I love em is they aren’t any great burden.
    0E1BE594-DB7B-4C82-85B7-950D87CCAE17.jpg

9. Likes ia_trouter, unknownflyman liked this post

From Friday. Stained water but the fish were on fire.

6_7_19_3.jpg

11. Likes unknownflyman, ia_trouter, SDMT liked this post

I was out fishing and adventuring for smallmouth on the upper St. Croix Minnesota side, but the reports Ive seen from friends are very good from my end of the driftless. The bugs are insane. Nice brown!

13. Likes ia_trouter, SDMT liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by unknownflyman View Post
    I was out fishing and adventuring for smallmouth on the upper St. Croix Minnesota side, but the reports Ive seen from friends are very good from my end of the driftless. The bugs are insane. Nice brown!
    Not to turn this into a smallmouth thread, but in your adventures targeting smallmouth bass, if you don't have some of these already you may want to add them to your arsenal. These have outfished streamers and poppers by far in the waters I fish. Fish them SLOWLY especially in slack water.

Foam cut to shape, silicone legs, sparkle chenille body in various colors. Small amount of Zap A Gap on the wraps to hold everything in place.

Good Luck!

Denny

15. Thanks Raging Moorish thanked for this post

Finally made it to the Driftless! My son and I had a blast and caught a bunch of fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast