Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  333
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Default Re: 2019 Driftless Pictures and Reports

Moved to new spey section.
    Last edited by unknownflyman; 09-13-2019 at 12:53 AM. Reason: moved

2. Likes thirdcoaststeelheader liked this post

Had time to go out on saturday morning. Got to the stream at sunrise and it was CHILLY. Water was extremely stained from the thunderstorms in western wisconsin this past week. Wasnt having any luck unit I caught a sculpin. Decided to make an audible from nymphing and I tied on a scudler minnow in olive (to match the color of the sculpin I just caught. First few casts after tying on I got hammered by a nice brown trout. After catching one more I decided to start heading back down stream towards my car and was swinging the streamer the whole way down. Hooked into a really really nice brown, between 18-20" but I botched the net job. What are you gonna do I guess. That trout is still in there somewhere, and it gives me that much more of a reason to get out there.

Only one month left in the wisconsin trout season . Gonna be tough to get out as much as I would like to now that classes have started up. Gotta make the most of what fishing I have left this year.

IMG_0388.jpg

EA7B4EE5-2F5D-436C-861A-E30951DFDE15.jpg

Nice!!! Ive caught black nose dace and red tail chubs but never a sculpin. I`m quite sure they are in there. Thats streamer material right there. Olive sculpins. also a great steelhead fly..

5. Likes ia_trouter, Raging Moorish liked this post

I somehow missed the sculpin. That is pretty cool. Are the sculps hitting brown trout fry immitations now lol.

7. Likes Raging Moorish liked this post

The time between October 15th and January 4th is a long stretch but I`m so happy we still have seasons, let the fish do their thing uninterrupted. It used to be April 15th, not I`d probably flip out and ice fish or something.

Dewayne are you coming up again? or do you want to go chase steelhead on the swing? I know some places that are pretty easy to wade. Should of came up for the spey clave.

9. Likes Raging Moorish liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by unknownflyman View Post
    Nice!!! Ive caught black nose dace and red tail chubs but never a sculpin. I`m quite sure they are in there. Thats streamer material right there. Olive sculpins. also a great steelhead fly..
    that reminds me unknown. Would love to pick your brain on a few of the lake superior runs that are going on currently. Would love to go after steelhead some day, but right now I don't have the gear to do so (only have 4-5 wt rods). Whats your knowledge on the pink salmon run? I've read that they won't out duel a 4 wt rod.

that reminds me unknown. Would love to pick your brain on a few of the lake superior runs that are going on currently. Would love to go after steelhead some day, but right now I don't have the gear to do so (only have 4-5 wt rods). Whats your knowledge on the pink salmon run? I've read that they won't out duel a 4 wt rod.

12. Likes unknownflyman liked this post

The time between October 15th and January 4th is a long stretch but I`m so happy we still have seasons, let the fish do their thing uninterrupted. It used to be April 15th, not I`d probably flip out and ice fish or something.

Dewayne are you coming up again? or do you want to go chase steelhead on the swing? I know some places that are pretty easy to wade. Should of came up for the spey clave.
    I need to figure something out so I can request time off. I won't have time to make it all the way up north for steelhead this fall, but I promise we'll get something arranged. Work, the spring flooding and the rental house has kept busy the whole damned season. I took some time off this week and a bad storm ripped the Southern D.A. up, just a couple days ago. One of those knocking down structures, 10yr rains that seem to happen every year now. With our silty banks most of my day trip water will be screwed until the ground freezes unless we get zero rain starting now. Last year wasn't great either. It's really getting me down.

Enough Debbie downer lol. I need to find a way to get on some reasonably decent trout water before seasons close. I thought that used to be SEP 30th so OCT 15th gives me hope I can arrange it. Either that or it's ice fishing lol.

14. Likes unknownflyman liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Moorish View Post
    Sure thing man, The pinks came in last week they are found on the upper shore rivers mostly but they are in every river to some extent. even though I`m not really too afraid on naming rivers for pink salmon, perhaps you should PM me if you don't know which north shore rivers are decent.

You could use a 4 or 5wt rod depending on what you want to fish, Pink salmon crush a swung fly or yarn and nymphs drifting. They like bright pink or chartreuse, and I have caught fresh chrome ones on bead head prince nymphs in size 8 tight line drifting. Indicators annoy the hell out of me and I`m not nearly as good drifting with them.

Swing deep and fast, if its clear you can see groups of fish coming up or holding, get it in their face and one, usually a large male with a hooked jaw and humped back will pound it. They also have the nickname of humpies on the shore.

Pinks go from 2 to 5 pounds fight hard and if they are chrome they eat well, Dont worry if you want grilled salmon over the fire but release them if they are green or red. Its tough to find chrome pinks, they color up fast and deteriorate quickly. Of course if there is a lot of spawning going on fish below and coaster brook trout or steelhead could be there, also lake trout are close to shore now getting ready to spawn soon, the season closes on them so check the regulations. There are lots of pinks they do well all on their own and they are the result of an accidental dumping in Ontario many years ago. Any salmon on the west end of Lake Superior is a wild fish, the pinks and cohos which you will find too do really well, there are wild kings but not so much.

I have caught a number of pinks on the shore, and they are fun to catch and is quite a popular fishery in the fall. I fish a 5wt St. Croix graphite or glass and my clicker reel, and they pull pretty hard.

The colors are starting and it looks great peaking out in the next week or two. Good luck!

16. Thanks Raging Moorish thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    I need to figure something out so I can request time off. I won't have time to make it all the way up north for steelhead this fall, but I promise we'll get something arranged. Work, the spring flooding and the rental house has kept busy the whole damned season. I took some time off this week and a bad storm ripped the Southern D.A. up, just a couple days ago. One of those knocking down structures, 10yr rains that seem to happen every year now. With our silty banks most of my day trip water will be screwed until the ground freezes unless we get zero rain starting now. Last year wasn't great either. It's really getting me down.

Enough Debbie downer lol. I need to find a way to get on some reasonably decent trout water before seasons close. I thought that used to be SEP 30th so OCT 15th gives me hope I can arrange it. Either that or it's ice fishing lol.
    Ive been shirking my home construction duties, and hiring out some stuff, so things are slowly moving along as a cover to go fishing. Still barely married. Easier to get forgiveness than permission. Drop me a PM if you have something in mind, because I don't know if I`ll be north or south on any given weekend.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast