Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  253
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Default 2019 Driftless Pictures and Reports

I got out with Itchmesir on the opener, fishing was tough had to work for them. Not a lot of midge hatches or risers. Water temp 38 degrees.
    I was using my 3wt and drift 3/4 clicker reel and 5x powerflex tippet. The lighter weight helped the presentation and I swung a couple up too but the most consistent success came from a size 20 tungsten zebra midge.

I lost the largest fish on the small midge, got to see him, but he was a fighter and it’s so hard to keep a big fish like that pinned on a size 20 fly.

Working on a new prototype winter wet fly, proved successful on a tough winter day. One nice brown took it.

I caught way fewer brook trout in 2018 than 2017 and I was starting to get worried. My favorite fish from last Saturday, this fish warmed my heart.

Sometimes it’s not the largest fish or epic battles that are the most satisfying.

Tight Lines this season, UF
    Last edited by unknownflyman; 01-18-2019 at 05:11 AM.

Default Re: 2019 Driftless Pictures and Reports

Please share your pics and stories, I’ve always enjoyed reading everyone’s adventures.

3. Likes mcnerney liked this post

I`m tying flies this morning its going to hit 20 degrees today and that looks like the warmest day in the next couple weeks with morning temps below zero. A good chance of decent fish today and some technical dry fly action, cold front coming in later this evening and fish should be on the bite.

My plan is midges, Nymphs and Dry`s with some wet fly swinging, Ive been working on some new winter patterns Hopefully I`ll get into some nice fish this afternoon.

So, I had to move a few thousand pictures off Flickr and I went back and edited the previous years. Had no idea which were shared or not, block download and delete.

Maybe I`ll have a decent report this evening then, a couple of big heads spied the last time out feeding on midges.

5. Likes mcnerney, cpiercem liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by unknownflyman View Post
    I`m tying flies this morning its going to hit 20 degrees today and that looks like the warmest day in the next couple weeks with morning temps below zero. A good chance of decent fish today and some technical dry fly action, cold front coming in later this evening and fish should be on the bite.

My plan is midges, Nymphs and Dry`s with some wet fly swinging, Ive been working on some new winter patterns Hopefully I`ll get into some nice fish this afternoon.

So, I had to move a few thousand pictures off Flickr and I went back and edited the previous years. Had no idea which were shared or not, block download and delete.

Maybe I`ll have a decent report this evening then, a couple of big heads spied the last time out feeding on midges.
    Good luck man! Hope you have a good day of fishing. Kinda cold over here as well, the picture below is where I usually get into a few nice Brown trout-not today!

Denny

Just cut a long trench, that's what I do. LOL helps with casting accuracy.

Should be some good shelf ice now compared to the Catch and Release opener, I like shelf ice, fish like it too. Last time out I seen lots of empty redds and lots of tiny fry. Looks like another good fall spawn.

Stoneflies! I better twist up a couple of those too.

8. Likes dennyk liked this post
    Blog Entries

Stoneflies! I better twist up a couple of those too.
    Yup!!

Denny

10. Likes unknownflyman liked this post

My snowfly.

12. Likes dennyk, ontheflymn, cpiercem liked this post
    Blog Entries

My snowfly.
    Thanks unknowmflyman, you just gave me an idea for stonefly bodies by making a dubbing rope from Senyo's Shaggy Dub-black.

Denny

14. Thanks unknownflyman thanked for this post
    Likes pm287 liked this post

That dry fly is a killer, cast a couple inches from the shelf when they are crawling.

Black Rabbit and CDC.

16. Likes dennyk liked this post

Beautiful afternoon yesterday, but if I had never fished that river before I would swear there is no trout in it. I didn't get as much time as I would of liked as things always come up but I did manage to fish from 2pm till 5:20pm.

I did not beat the cold front in as clouds turned to sun and the temperatures dropped starting at a balmy 17 Degrees F.

As its been cold since the opener, the only tracks in the snow were from one ruffled grouse and I did not venture too far as time was limited.

Water temperature was 34-35 degrees, no sign of any bugs or anything swimming in the gin clear river except a small muskrat fortifying his hut across the river for the sub zero weather to come. I did see two rises of tiny trout in the 2" range in the fast water. The sparse weeds on the bottom of the river were gone, the river seemed sterile and lifeless, Winter, cold and cruel with the wind biting at my face and bare hands as the only sounds were the river itself.

After seeing a tiny trout jump and no bugs, the black nose dace was swung, later I drifted nymphs the deep channels with a size 20 nymph with no takers.

Ive fly fished in sub zero weather before but seeing the forecast and the current river conditions, I think I'm going to tie flies and dream over the next two weeks.

18. Likes Ard, Mcbeck, cpiercem, Seabass77, pm287, dennyk liked this post
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast