Coulee Country Video

Reaction score
Here's a scenic look (with some fishing!) from Wisconsin's Driftless Area. I won't get there again till next Spring, so all I can do is reminisce and dream...
Crank the volume and hope you enjoy it!

Hunter Gathers

Reaction score
Great video!!

I'm new to fly fishing and I spent two days during the last three weeks of the season fishing the southernmost part of the WI driftless and absolutely loved it. Caught my first trout on the fly there and am aching to get back next season and explore all those streams.

Reaction score
Thanks!
I've lived in Idaho now for 3 years and so far haven't found anything that quite compares to the DA. It's special, for sure. So many streams, so little time. I've been fishing there for over a dozen years now and there's still a bunch of streams I've never seen, let alone fished. Creeks that I fished that first year that I'd like to return to but haven't yet due to the allure of the new and unexplored.

silver creek

Reaction score
There is a Driftless area tour every year that is free. I think it is sponsored by TU and DARE (Driftless Area Restoration Effort).

Driftless Area Restoration Effort | Trout Unlimited

Driftless Area Restoration Effort

Driftless Area Restoration Effort | National Fish Habitat Partnership

I took the tour two weeks ago and I visited 4 streams in Southwestern, Wi. Other years have visited the Minnesota Driftless areas and the Driftless area in Iowa.

I learned a lot about how they rehab streams now that is different from how they used to. They don't use "lunker structures" any more. They remove all trees for about 100 feet on each side of the stream. Then they dig away the dirt so they can lay down rock slabs for those 100 feet on each side. They cover that with dirt and seed it with natural grass cover seed.

Here is the stream on the side of the stream which has not been rehabbed. Note the overgrown vegetation and the trees.

P1030865.jpg

Here is the other side which has had the trees removed and the stream rehabbed. The put flat rock slabs into the sides of the stream opposite each other. These blocks of stone are high and wide enough to be anchored into both the sides and bottom of the stream. There is also a stone slab at the bottom under these rock slabs. Imagine a stream the is narrowed on each side with a stone chute in the middle. Note that the DNR rep is standing on the rock chute.

P1030866.jpg

Note the rock blocks anchored to each side in the image below. You get a better sense of the size of the blocks and the anchoring into the stream bank. The water shoots through this chute and over the stone bottom and cuts a deep hole on the downstream side. Since the stone is anchored on each side at the same level as the 100 feet of stone on each side of the stream, even if the river overflows; this does structure does NOT wash out nor can the overflow cut a path around the stone chute.

P1030867.jpg

What this does is protect the stream from being washed out by floods. The edges of the stream at the curves are rip rapped so there is nothing to get "blown out." When the stream overflows, it is protected 100 feet on each side. The vegetation keeps the topsoil from being eroded from the underlying rock.

They put flat rock slabs into the sides of the stream opposite each other. These blocks of stone are high and wide enough to be anchored into both the sides and bottom of the stream. There is also a stone slab at the bottom under these rock slabs. Imagine a stream the is narrowed on each side with a stone chute in the middle. Note that the DNR rep is standing on the rock chute in the image above

The trees that were along the stream are taken down and the root balls are pulled out. The root balls are used to provide in stream cover. Sometimes the stump is inserted into the stream bank with the root ball sticking out from the bank. Other times the the root ball is inserted and the stump sticks out. Sometimes the root ball is place into the stream bottom. All of these "projections" change the water flow so the stream itself carves out deep holes that form holding areas BENEATH the stump or root ball and the stump or root ball forms the overhead cover.

The photo below is of an ongoing project In the photo below, root balls have been put into the stream bottom. You can see the tops of two root balls. Note the straw covering the seeded banks.

P1030883.jpg

Below is a photo of the a stump and root ball with the root ball buried in the bank of the stream.

P1030869.jpg

Since I can only attach 5 photos per post, the rest of the description of the tour is in the next post.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow, that's very interesting and informative! Glad to see the lunker structures go- great cover but what a magnet for hooks.
All of those constructs are what make the creeks so much fun (and productive) to fish- the water type is constantly changing with different challenges around each corner. Love the plunge pools!...

Attachments

Last edited:

silver creek

Reaction score
Driftless tour continued.

Here is a plunge pool formed by rock blocks inserted across the stream to form a plunge pool. In the photo you can see the 100 feet of cleared land and the gently slope with seed and straw.

This new stretch is a 3 year project along 10,000 feet of stream with a perpetual easement. This land owner is a TU member and farmer who is well respected in the local community. After he signed up for DARE, some of his neighbors decided to put their land up for improvement also.

P1030884.jpg

Below is a fish shocking team at a plunge pool on another stream. You can see how it looks after several years. There is a standing wave. Note how deep the pool now is.

P1030878.jpg

These are just some of the methods used. I really learned a lot about how these methods, although more costly are designed to last much longer than the old lunker structures of old.

leftytyro

Reaction score
Thanks Silver,
A wonderful explanation of the truly impressive (and smart!) TU and Dare stream rehabilitation efforts. Thanks to their untiring efforts, a precious watershed is protected and improved.

smoke33

Reaction score
Last season was my first experience in the Driftless. I can’t wait to do more exploring next season.
I am a teacher but we also had a family business that left me with little free time. We recently sold that business and my free time has opened!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nuchamps5

Reaction score
Smoke, let me know next summer if you want a partner to go exploring. We moved here a couple years ago so I'm still learning the streams as well, and I also teach so my summers are more flexible.

smoke33

Reaction score
Smoke, let me know next summer if you want a partner to go exploring. We moved here a couple years ago so I'm still learning the streams as well, and I also teach so my summers are more flexible.
That would be great. I replied to your introduction thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk