Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  70
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: 2020 Driftless Pictures And Reports

Beautiful weekend and I have been down with the flu. On the mend today. Word on the street is we are getting consistent midge dry fly action and zebras and princes always take at least one if you're desperate. Streamers are a hardcore swingers pursuit.

I had a memory digital art picture I did describing a wet fly I tied and fished, post up from three years ago today. What a nice reminder of a great day drifting and swinging wet flies. That's what I would swing today, small wet flies with a Leisenring lift. Naturally I`d fish dry flies first but midges are tough for me, I get fish but Ive never had a stellar midge dry fly day.

I can verify the heavy midge activity on Friday during the snow in SE MN from about 11-2 PM. It was fun being out during the snow. I didn't have exactly the right bugs but I got close enough to catch enough to keep me engaged. I'm going to the vise and work on a few offering so I'm better prepared next round.....if it comes.
    Jeff

3. Likes unknownflyman liked this post

Jeff - Google zebra midge. Simple tie, great trailer in the Driftless wintertime.

5. Likes unknownflyman, pickadrake liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by pickadrake View Post
    I can verify the heavy midge activity on Friday during the snow in SE MN from about 11-2 PM. It was fun being out during the snow. I didn't have exactly the right bugs but I got close enough to catch enough to keep me engaged. I'm going to the vise and work on a few offering so I'm better prepared next round.....if it comes.
    It will come, midges hatch year round, black, olive and cream colors, trout seem to love those things, sometimes people think the olive ones are BWO and then cant catch a fish on a BWO. Ive seen where trout refuse larger flies and mayflies and selectively feed on midges aka masking hatch, I have been fooled as well. Didn't want caddis, didn't want mayflies, march browns or anything else, just midges.

7. Likes pickadrake, smoke33 liked this post

Yep, midging trout out in force on Sunday before the sun hit the snow and dropped water temps. Happy fish above the pools munching away on midges. Tough to get to, they seemed to want to stage at the top end of the deepest pools, which either meant some goofy casts from the bank or a really long cast from wadeable water below the pool. Nonetheless, got a few to take, not nearly as many as I saw.

9. Likes unknownflyman, pickadrake, smoke33 liked this post

Enjoyed the mild conditions before the storm this past weekend. Things came alive in early afternoon when water temps started climbing. It's a midge-fest out there.

I had some action subsurface on zebras, but wasn't able to entice fish on the surface.

Any recommendations for midge-emerger patterns?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Undergrowth View Post
    Enjoyed the mild conditions before the storm this past weekend. Things came alive in early afternoon when water temps started climbing. It's a midge-fest out there.

I had some action subsurface on zebras, but wasn't able to entice fish on the surface.

Any recommendations for midge-emerger patterns?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    I tied up some #20-22 soft hackles from Ed Engels book last night. I won't get a chance to fish them for a while but will report back after they get wet.
    Jeff

Ive been too busy trying to make a buck and in home improvement hell. I have seen videos and heard whispered talk of epic stonefly hatches and midges O plenty on the warmer days, stoneflies like Ive never seen this year. Pretty cold till the weekend but it should be good, Hoping to get in on the stonefly action, I like tying and fishing those dry flies. Small black wets are money in sizes 18 and 16.

That being said catching is picking up but It's still winter, I think at this point just getting out of the cabin and breaking that fever is a good thing. Woke up last Saturday to a phone call that my former bandmate was found dead at home, natural causes. Died too young. Get out there, if not now when? it all goes by too fast man.

13. Likes dennyk liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123