Stocking the La Diable River - Mont Tremblant, QC

legrand

Reaction score
Saturday, June 2nd, 2012

Well it rain, and rained hard.

Early rise, in to the truck and on the road with the bad weather way up to Mont-Tremblant for 8:30 a.m. gathering.

Back and forth, 380 km (Aylmer/Gatineau to Mont-Tremblant, QC), 4:30 hours road trip, $98.00 worth of gas for the Dodge Ram 1500 MegaCab.

Stocking La Diable river with Brown Trouts. Beautiful river.

But the following picture was worth it. Priceless. One of many trips to the sections 1-2-3 of the river at various places along the shores. Over 2,500 of them released.

Can't be there tomorrow, Sunday, for the speckled trouts stocking.

Lots of volunters.

milt spawn

Reaction score
Those are great pix Legrand! Beautiful dark water there. What does your pack weigh with water and fish? milt.

legrand

Reaction score
Pack with water and fish weighs around 40-60 pounds. No real problem if straps set properly for balance, but you still have to take it easy when going down steep hilly slopes, and those were many. With the heavy and constant rain the walking stick helped also. Some places they had ropes tied to threes so you could hold on to it going down backward. The ropes also helped going back up sections of hills even with an empty packsack. Some other places, they had built long staircase, but most places is was a wet slippery beaten dirt/muddy path.

dan the man

Reaction score
Hi legrand,
I'm new to fly fishing and am looking for good spots in the laurentians. I've heard lots of good things about riviere de la diable and am wondering what kind of fish there is to be found.

I'm also not quite sure about spots and where to access the river as most of it is surounded by private properties.

I'm from Lachute!
Thx

Reaction score
Hi Dan,

Since nobody answered you and I have an intimate relationship with the brown trout in the Diable river, I figured I'd answer you:

The Diable river starts its journey far north of the Mont Tremblant provincial park, but gets exceptionally beautiful towards its exit from the park's land and starts through a 5-6km fly-fishing only sector managed by the club called Les EnDiables.
Membership to the club is not mandatory to fish the waters, however you can learn alot from its club members and enjoy some of the events they put on:
page principale

They do stock these waters with healthy brown trout (as this thread demonstrates very nicely), but there are natives in the system and I've heard also brookies/speckies, but never caught any of them.
There is also one spot that I ran into something that could only have been either a pike or an angry beaver, which smashed my fly drifting on the opposite bank just before the last rays of sunlight disappeared once...

Anyways, the river is most definitely very beautiful, however its quite challenging: to fish and to wade. Large round boulders abound and currently can be a little swift in spots. Regardless, this is excellent trout water with very easy access. The club's website has maps.

If anyone was interested in heading up there with me in the late summertime, I'd be happy to "guide" for free. (I get to fish too, though :p )
I know most of the nice spots and also the LaCachee river triburairy is really nice too.
I drive through Lachute quite often, so picking you up would be easy.

nir

Reaction score
If anyone was interested in heading up there with me in the late summertime, I'd be happy to "guide" for free. (I get to fish too, though :p )
I know most of the nice spots and also the LaCachee river triburairy is really nice too.
Sounds like fun! I'd love to join... I'm in Gatineau. I went up to the Diable once last summer, but didn't have any luck... The water was very high and there was quite a bit of rain, so I didn't fish for too long. I'd love to fish the river with someone who knows it!

paul1913

Reaction score
Just getting into fly fishing also from gatineau area.. Would love to go up once the warm weather comes back.