Mentor in Montreal

mastrmasn

Reaction score
I'm so new to the sport, I'm not sure if I'm out of line asking this question.

I badly want to learn to fly fish properly, and was wondering if there are any fishermen in the Montreal area willing to teach a new guy or any one giving lessons in the city ?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm located too far to help, but if you can find someone that will really help your learning curve. In the meantime Google Orvis Fly Fishing podcasts and also the Orvis Fly Fishing Learning Center, lots of great info for beginners. Also check with your local fly shop and they might be able to find someone willing to mentor you, best of luck.

dabluz

Reaction score
I live in the Saguenay region of Quebec which is about 5 hours from Montreal so I can't be much help. However, there are a few fishing forums that you could join. The biggest one is Quebec Pêche. Yes....it's a french speaking forum. There are quite a few members and I'm sure you can find someone.

The fastest way to learn is to go fishing with only your fly fishing equipment.

Reaction score
I'm available to mentor anyone in the Montreal area.

Been fly-fishing for trout, bass etc since I was 12 (34 now) and am always wishing I had someone to share my passion for fly fishing with.
I'm moving into two-handed rods and salmon fishing lately, but would always relish any chance to fish or talk about it with someone else keen to learn.
I know plenty of spots close to Montreal and would enjoy lending a ride or gear to anyone wishing to try out half a day on the water.

PM sent to mastrmasn

gzarboni

Reaction score
I am quite new to the sport also. I have been at it for about a year and a half. I would gladly help you as much as I can. I am always looking for someone to fish with. I am a Canadian living in the US and I am only 1 hr 30 mins from Montreal. I know quite a few spots in the Chateauguay and St Martine areas as well in the Mont Tremblant region. Like I said I am still quite new but have been on the water about 100 times this year and had some success. I can show you all that I know and maybe we can try to learn the rest together?

Glen

Reaction score
So, I'm looking forward to meeting up with Glen after the holidays for a visit to our best fly shop and some general drool-inducing conversation about fly-fishing in the area.

I'm going to be joining a club this year to get some additional help with two-handed casting, and I figured I ought to mention them here for anyone in the Montreal area:

M.M.M. ( Moucheurs de Montreal Metropolitain ) (google them)

Non-profit enthusiast organization for the greater Montreal area. Even though I'm willing to mentor a beginner, I need mentoring myself for the finer points! I'm going to join them for the 2014 calendar year. They've got all kind of classes like: fly tying for beginners, advanced, salmon; rod building; casting classes; beginner's initiations; entymology; even cooking!
They also organize outings, some for the adventurers, some for the beginners and some in between.

Just thought that it might be a good resource for other Montrealers like me who might not have known of this club's existence yet.