Question about Magog area

jb1023

Reaction score
Hello North Eastern neighbors. It looks like I MAY have an opportunity to visit the Magog area, SE of Montreal. Looking at the map this town is close to Lac Magog, Lac Massawippi, Lac Memphremagog. I am a complete newbie to the sport and looking to see if there is any decent fly fishing in these waters or the rivers/tailwaters connecting them and if so what type of fish might I see bypass my flies? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

vtd

Reaction score
Since Lake Memphramagog straddles the international border, check the Vermont F&W web site for species info. Lotsa perch I hear. Pretty sure there are salmon spawning upstream & returning to the lake.

No first-hand experience.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Don't know the Quebec side of the lake as well as the Vermont side. The Lake Memphremagog tribs in Vermont (Black, Clyde, Bartons, Willoughby) have good spawning runs of steelhead in the spring and Atlantic salmon in the fall, and are good trout water the rest of the time. I imagine there are similar tribs on the Quebec side too, but I just don't know them. The Missisquoi is also a popular trout river which straddles both sides of the border.

Most of the lakes in the area (and there are a number of them) should have good warmwater fishing for bass and panfish. Probably pickerel and pike too, if you know where to find them. My wife's family is from Foster, just a few miles from Magog, and there are family stories of bass and perch fishing in Lake Brome.

jb1023

Reaction score
Don't know the Quebec side of the lake as well as the Vermont side. The Lake Memphremagog tribs in Vermont (Black, Clyde, Bartons, Willoughby) have good spawning runs of steelhead in the spring and Atlantic salmon in the fall, and are good trout water the rest of the time. I imagine there are similar tribs on the Quebec side too, but I just don't know them. The Missisquoi is also a popular trout river which straddles both sides of the border.

Most of the lakes in the area (and there are a number of them) should have good warmwater fishing for bass and panfish. Probably pickerel and pike too, if you know where to find them. My wife's family is from Foster, just a few miles from Magog, and there are family stories of bass and perch fishing in Lake Brome.
Thank you for the update Moucheur. I had not been to this thread in awhile as we thought our trip was going to be canceled but it is now on and ALMOST in stone. Anyway, I am going to be there Sept 17-20 and curious if you can maybe assist with some gear recommendations? Probably just going after trout if that is still viable that time of year, never fished for salmon or any warm water anything. Is a 5wt sufficient or over/under weight? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Thank you for the update Moucheur. I had not been to this thread in awhile as we thought our trip was going to be canceled but it is now on and ALMOST in stone. Anyway, I am going to be there Sept 17-20 and curious if you can maybe assist with some gear recommendations? Probably just going after trout if that is still viable that time of year, never fished for salmon or any warm water anything. Is a 5wt sufficient or over/under weight? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
5 wt ought to be fine.