fishing near Toronto

n5td

Reaction score
Will be flying from California to Toronto the last week of April to the first week of May. What are some nearby fishing spots?

xca

Reaction score
Will you have a car? How far you willing to go?
River or lake?

I can give you a couple spots but they require about one hour drive from toronto.
They are nice trout rivers.
In Toronto, there are a couple rivers that have fish (humber, rouge) but never fished them.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

n5td

Reaction score
Will you have a car? How far you willing to go?
River or lake?

I can give you a couple spots but they require about one hour drive from toronto.
They are nice trout rivers.
In Toronto, there are a couple rivers that have fish (humber, rouge) but never fished them.

Thanks for response xca. I'm willing to drive an hr from Toronto. I'm looking to fish rivers or streams. Any directions or tips will be appreciated. This will be a once in a life time trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

left field

Reaction score
Trout?

Ontario's best trout and steelhead rivers.

Southern Ontario's Best Trout Rivers

Credit River: Known as the "Crown Jewel of Southern Ontario". The upper Credit River is our specialty. In fact, our very first cast with a fly rod over 30 years ago was made in this section of the Credit River. Although there are good numbers of wild brook trout, brown trout and resident rainbows, this is a very technical river with weary wild trout that spook at the slightest sound. Predictable hatches, great scenery and easy to read water make this section a must try for any trout angler. The Credit River has many different types of water from fast rapid sections to meandering meadows. Check out our pictures from the Credit river below. Thanks to catch and release only and special regulations there's plenty of fish in the upper sections and we can put you in front of some of the biggest fish in the river. The lower sections offer some of the best steelhead and salmon fishing in Ontario and most of our guiding in this sections is done in December, March, April and early May. As well as walk and wade trips we offer drift boat trips on the upper and lower river for anglers that prefer to see large sections of this great river with out the hike. Our boat trips are popular but we book up fast so don't miss out.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Grand River: This river is about 15 minutes from Orangeville. Of the 5 rivers I guide, this is the most popular river for fly anglers and probably the most productive for resident brown trout. The Grand River near Fergus is said to be the best tail-water brown trout fishery in Eastern North America and is arguably the most popular fly fishing destination in Ontario. Regardless of the fishing pressure we know how to find uncrowded sections that have lots of big, scrappy and numerous brown trout over 14" and browns in the 25" to 27" size are caught every season. 10 to 50 trout a day is not uncommon and days of multiple brown trout over 20 inches is very possible. This tail water section has about 30 km of accessible brown trout water to fish and is mainly a walk and wade section but we can drift it in the pontoon boat for those anglers that would like to do a boat trip instead. Special regulations apply on most of the trout water section. - it's mostly a No Kill on all trout, Single Barbless Hook only and no organic bait is permitted.

There is also some very good bass and pike fishing through out the river for anglers interested fishing during the hotter summer months. Some of the upper an middle sections of the grand can produce dozens of bass a day. Pending water levels we can guide you in these sections by foot or by boat. Because its so far for us and because we are so busy on other rivers we do not guide the lower Grand river.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Humber River: The upper Humber has wild brook trout populations and some nice brown trout mixed in. The river is 10 minutes east of us and has lots of good access points. Wild and stocked brown trout can be caught between highway 9 and the town of Bolton. Trout may be kept in this river but we strongly urge all anglers to release your trout to help grow this fishery to it's full potential.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nottawasaga River: The Notty, as the locals call it is the biggest wild Steelhead river flowing into Georgian Bay and is said to have the largest runs of wild steelhead in all of Ontario. If the river conditions are good the Notty offers Steelhead fishing from September to the end of May with peak times being mid October to late November. Every fall since 2008 I have personally netted over 300 steelhead for my customers on this river. Some of our lucky customers have even had days of over 40 steelhead landed and some personal bests in size to. Many anglers including myself have noticed these wild fish fight far better then in other rivers making the Nottawasaga our most requested river to guide steelhead on. In the middle and lower sections of the Nottawasaga the slower deeper pools make this area very challenging to fish for many anglers but with over 25 years experience on this river we can show you how to find fish consistently and how to fish it effectively. The slower deeper water of this river is really good water for anglers who like to centerpin float fish and for anglers that like to use lures. There are also a few faster water sections that are great for fly anglers. The majority of the river down stream from the town of Alliston is private property but some access can be had in the mouth area near Wasaga Beach and at a few municipal park areas near Angus. We use our boats to take our customers through nearly un-fished sections of river during prime runs of Steelhead but we do have sections we can do walk trips on as well. There is now a special no kill section between Angus and Alliston so all anglers must release their steelhead (see MNR regulations). Salmon start running the Nottawasaga in August and peak in September. Some of our customers have had multiple big fish days with steelhead mixed in. Anglers can have some pretty good days in late September and early October but these dates book up fast so don't hesitate. We offer boat trips and walk and wade trips for salmon and steelhead through most of the river. There is also some big Bass, pike and Musky in the lower sections and we guide for them from Late June to early September with peak times being July and August. Bass, Pike and Musky trips are by boat only.

flytie09

Reaction score
There's Erinsale park in Mississauga - Credit River. Nice access. It's a circus, but has to be witnessed 1x in lifetime. May be steelhead in surrounding streams in April also. Further SW of Toronto there's nice fishing.

Good Luck

MM

king joe

Reaction score
Hey n5td
Your timing is pretty much peak great lakes steelhead time...which is good. The bad is that lots of the rivers (Credit, Humber, Speed, Rouge, etc.) in the big smoke (aka Toronto) also have closures on sections of them making the open sections ZOO's with regard to other fishers being out.

Add in that smallmouth bass are also closed....fishing shorelines of Lake Ontario or tributaries is off for that species also.

One of the members posted a clip from the Grand River....which in the location they included, is nice for resident browns and rainbows....if you can access the river. Up at Elora and Belwood Dam....there are public access points...but again....ZOO. I would also argue....over an hour from Toronto.

The Grand near Brantford offers fishing...and is just over an hour from the big smoke. Walleye are in the river and I don't believe, closed at this time. You may want to check that. Steelhead are present...and not closed but the river is big here.

Tell you what I would offer....Mooneye fishing on dry flies....on the Lower Grand....about an hour and 20 min from Downtown TO.

Depending on water conditions...these little guys are a hoot on a dry fly...and likely not something you've experienced in CA.

Let me know

King Joe Outa Here!

n5td

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions!

We're planning on staying near fergus. How's the fishing by the grand river there? What should I bring? 3wt or 5wt glass? Dry? Wet?

xca

Reaction score
Grand near fergus is a safe pick. It will be crowded but like any main rivers.
I would go with a 5wt. Streamers on the grand works well. Dries too if you hit the hatch. :)
I will probably be on the grand river or forks of the credit river !

king joe

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions!

We're planning on staying near fergus. How's the fishing by the grand river there? What should I bring? 3wt or 5wt glass? Dry? Wet?

yeah, Fegus ain't Toronto.

3 or 5...not big fish in that reach...resident browns and rainbows. 5 if you like streamer fishing though the river there is small/narrow...3 for nymphing for increased challenge.

Let me know if you wanna hit mooneye when your down this way. Happy to try connect with you. You would be my forth guy to take out from this site....one came from as far away as New Zealand.

King Joe Outa Here!

huronfly

Reaction score
That is the opening season for trout and steelhead. If you have a day or two to spare I recommend you head up to some huron tribs for some wild steelhead, the crowds won't be nearly as bad as near those populated areas, and very scenic.