Fly fishing the end of may near Cobourg, Ontario?

spicymac

Reaction score
Heading to visit a good friend over Memorial Day for 4 days, he lives in Cobourg. Wondering if there's any good fly fishing to be had in that part of Canada?

Thanks!

iv_wjb

Reaction score
It's been many, many years since I fished this river but, I believe it still has a good reputation. Anyhow, it's a place to start & you should be able to find more information by contacting the conservation authority, here:

Ganaraska River
- Northumberland Tourism

Good luck & enjoy your visit here!

Sorry, I forgot to mention: The Ganaraska runs through a town called Port Hope on the shore of Lake Ontario. Port Hope is very close to Cobourg. I spent many summers there in my youth... I hope you find it as enjoyable as I did!

huronfly

Reaction score
You will be battling crowds and fishing for dropback steelhead if fishing the ganny out of port hope. Not the most pleasant experience IMO. I would rather drive a little ways west and target resident trout on either the credit, the grand, or head north and fish specks in Haliburton/Algonquin area. If you were a week later I would say fish musky in the kawartha lakes. Depends what you want to target.

spicymac

Reaction score
You will be battling crowds and fishing for dropback steelhead if fishing the ganny out of port hope. Not the most pleasant experience IMO. I would rather drive a little ways west and target resident trout on either the credit, the grand, or head north and fish specks in Haliburton/Algonquin area. If you were a week later I would say fish musky in the kawartha lakes. Depends what you want to target.
Sweet...thank you! We're gonna hit the ganny for sure but also have quite a bit of mobility so will head out a bit to try other places. Thanks for the insight!