Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Default Hey Guys SOCAL Guy Going back for round 2 in Ontario.

Hey guys Im an avid Fly fisherman down here in Los Angeles. Last summer I took my fly rod and caught small mouth and other sunfish from lake Dalrymple, Fenelon Falls and the Kingston area. This summer I will be heading back up to Oshawa and was wondering if anybody had any other suggestions for me. My dream is to catch a pike, fresh water drum or any other fresh water fish that hits the fly. Heck a bowfin or gar would be amazing. If you dont want to share on this thread please PM me.

Thanks again Guys

2. Likes mcnerney, brownbass liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hey Guys SOCAL Guy Going back for round 2 in Ontario.

Fly62

Welcome to the forum! I can't help with the Ontario fly fishing advice, but hopefully someone will chime in.
    Larry

Welcome to the board. Not sure how much help I can give you. The majority of my fishing in Ontario has been a lodge on Lady Evelyn Lake which is a good 6 to 8 hour drive north of where you're going to be. Went there for 30 years. Hope to get back there one more time, maybe next year. I fished the Kingston area, Rideau Lakes area a couple of times many years ago, just as I was taking up fly fishing. Caught a couple of small pike there. Fished the Huntsville area a few times on my way north to the lodge. Mainly smallmouth. If your interested in trout, I'd recommend the Grand River for browns and the Upper Credit River for brook trout. They're west of Toronto, in the Guelph/Kitchner area. Good Luck, even small pike are fun on a fly rod.
    "All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

5. Likes fly62 liked this post

You could check the resources below for maps, stocking, surveys, and regulations in Ontario:

Geocortex Viewer for HTML5

I am in Ottawa, and would look West for brook trout in Algonquin Park. For bass, head north and I imagine you will be into bass and pike water, a bit further for trout.

Otherwise, I head to the Adirondacks and the Ausable to fish out of Lake Placid.

Hey fly62 where in socal are you?

I am in riverside

Thank you guys for all the great answers. And Yes Mtbright Im here in Los Angeles. Im a member of the Downey Fly fishers.

I replied to your other thread, but the kawartha's are a prime spot for walleye, pike, and musky. Lake Ontario near Kingston and into the St. Lawrence river I've heard is also good for gar and carp fishing. Can't help you too much with that specific area as I rarely fish there.
    Danny

In a week Ill be back fishing Canadian waters. I will keep you guys updated once Im up there.

Quote Originally Posted by huronfly View Post
    I replied to your other thread, but the kawartha's are a prime spot for walleye, pike, and musky. Lake Ontario near Kingston and into the St. Lawrence river I've heard is also good for gar and carp fishing. Can't help you too much with that specific area as I rarely fish there.