Fishing near Windsor Ontario

dryflywaters

Reaction score
I live in SE Michigan and travel to the greater Windsor area often and was wondering if anyone knows of any decent streams or rivers that are wadeable to fish near there?

Let me know - Thanks!

Jackster

Reaction score
Having lived near there most of my life, I can't think of any trout fishing nearby.
You might look into the Thames River during the walleye spawning run. I've seen aerial photographs where the fish running to that river from Lake Saint Clair look like huge roads from the sky. It might be a good chance to catch walleye in the shallows on a fly.

burk48237

Reaction score
Wading Mitchell's bay for small mouth in the spring should be very effective. Their may be some wad-able carp fly fishing around Point Pele. About the closest Trout Fishery is the Grand River near Eloriya (Guelph area). It is an excellent tail-water fishery for natural reproducing Brown Trout. I would suggest you contact www.grindestoneangling.com for further info. Most of your other trout opportunities will be north of the Pinery towards the Bruce Peninsula or Northern MI. The Grand is two hours from Windsor, anything else is three hours or more to my knowledge.

mikeo

Reaction score
Closer trout fishing on Saugeen and Maitland rivers -- also incredible musky fishing in Lake St. Clair

addictedflyfisher16

Reaction score
As an avid fisherman near Windsor, I'd like to say the largemouth bass, panfish and pike fishery is very strong along the edges of Lake St. Clair all summer long. Fly fishing is an amazing way to challenge yourself to keep things more interesting. I, myself flyfish the lake edge all summer long and catch numerous types of fish on a single fly. I usually use a black Woolley Bugger and catch anything from bluegill and perch to largemouth bass, carp and pike all summer long. About a year ago I made the interesting attempt to teach myself how to flyfish and can now admit my bass rods and panfish rods are now all put away. It is way more interesting on my Canadian Tire beginners fly rod and eventually I will invest in a better one. Anywhere there is water that holds fish can be fly fished and boy, is it a riot! Everyone I'm the area looks at me like I'm crazy when I walk to the edge of Lake St. Clair with a fly rod and tells me there's no trout or salmon there...and I educate them about flyfishing not being just for trout and salmon. Landing that 25lb carp on a fly rod was one of the best things ever. 8weight fly rod and you're set! Tight Lines!

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

Having lived near there most of my life, I can't think of any trout fishing nearby.
You might look into the Thames River during the walleye spawning run. I've seen aerial photographs where the fish running to that river from Lake Saint Clair look like huge roads from the sky. It might be a good chance to catch walleye in the shallows on a fly.
Fly fishing for panfish, carp and bass is a riot too. Fly fishing isn't just for trout and salmon. Tight Lines!