Bug photos

nrp5087

Reaction score
What are those bugs in the bottom right that form a wooden "cocoon" around themselves? I see them all the time in north central PA on Salmon Creek but I never knew exactly what they were called...

noreaster

Reaction score
What are those bugs in the bottom right that form a wooden "cocoon" around themselves? I see them all the time in north central PA on Salmon Creek but I never knew exactly what they were called...
I believe its a type of caddis fly larva. Where the streams are mostly gravel they make them out of pebbles instead of woody bits::)

jmac321

Reaction score
Ok,

What is the green bug in the top left Pic??? I have never seen this bug. Is your macro study a stream bed study? If so what body of water are you working on, I'll understand if you don't want to share what body of water your working.
That green bug looks like an Inch worm.???? IDK

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Ok,

What is the green bug in the top left Pic??? I have never seen this bug. Is your macro study a stream bed study? If so what body of water are you working on, I'll understand if you don't want to share what body of water your working.
That green bug looks like an Inch worm.???? IDK
JMAC: That is a Green Caddis or often called a Green Rock Worm, Rhyachophila.

FISHN50

Reaction score
The bugs are 1 green rock worm, 2, Stonefly head 3, Caddis pupae 4, Stonefly
5, Case Caddis..
I'm doing a stream in West Jersey that has a good trout population. It's a very productive stream with a fairly high O2 level year round & as I'm finding out very rich in aquatic macro invertebrates. I'm planning on posting some more photos in the future of both the Nymph, & adults as soon as I finish cataloging them. So far the highest family of bugs collected has been Caddis Flys & Stoneflys, followed by Mayflies, scuds, dragonfly nymphs etc.

Neil