Good entemology book?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Bugwater by Arlen Thomason

Hatch Guide for Western Streams by Jim Shollmeyer

The Complete Guide To Eastern Hatches: What Flies to Fish, When, and Where by Thomas Ames Jr.

Dennis

milt spawn

Reaction score
Western Mayfly Hatches Rick Hafele and Dave Hughes (2001), Fish Food Ralph Cutter, Bugs of the Underworld Ralph Cutter (DVD's)

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Last night I was reading Matching the Hatch (1955) by Ernest Schwiebert. Probably the most important book ever written on the subject.
Extremely informative of course, but I'm sorry, I can't stand the way he writes :eek:

stormcrow

Reaction score
Check out Rick Hafele's book "Nymph Fishing Rivers and Streams". It has a LOT of valuable entymology but it is in the context of fly fishing and not overly technical or detailed. Excellent pictures and suggested patterns to imitate. A great balance of information. Hafele is an aquatic biologist by profession, in addition to being an accomplished fly fisherman.

trouton

Reaction score
Handbook of Hatches by David Hughes.
Ditto on previous endorsements of this book. It was recommended to me by a new FF friend. I just finished reading it and only disappointment is that I am not likely to get back into the rivers of CO before next spring to use what I have learned. I may have to take a refresher read before then.
Roger

Last edited:

brucerducer

Reaction score
I got "BUGS OF THE UNDERWORLD - THE NATURAL HISTORY OF AQUATIC INSECTS - Tutorial DVD by
Ralph & Lisa Cutter (Author)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XS7X6U/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00"]BUGS OF THE UNDERWORLD - THE NATURAL HISTORY OF AQUATIC INSECTS - Tutorial DVD: Ralph & Lisa Cutter: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21vpHXrr6dL.@@AMEPARAM@@21vpHXrr6dL[/ame]

It is an absolutely beautifully made video on stream insect life.

Well worth the cost for the education.

brucerducer

Reaction score
I have ordered "Handbook of Hatches" by Hughes.

Next, I probably will get the other highly recommended book,
"Bug Water" by Arlen Thomason

These recommendations are very helpful, especially from you who have so much experience

surface film

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who chimed in on this, I ordered a copy of BugWater last night after reading all your posts, cannot wait to read it!

I own and have already read Trout and Their Food by Dave Whitlock, highly recommend that one if you have never had the chance to read it.

mcphoto

Reaction score
Another vote for Bugwater and Bugs of the Underworld if you prefer the electronic style. I also like the Hatch Guide to Western Streams, which is a small pocket style book that could come in handy on the water. Definitely a good choice for someone wanting to compare bugs on the water to pictures of many bugs.