Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Identification anyone?

Default Re: Identification anyone?

Genus Caenis??

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
    I agree, the White Miller is not even a mayfly, correct? Isn't it a fly that looks very much like a caddisfly (even though its classified as a "moth")?
    I've always thought the White Miller was E. Leukon.

Maryland DNR - White Miller

Google search places the "white miller caddis" below the mayfly. However, Troutnut says caddis first, mayfly second, and then a moth. Must be a regional interpretation of what a white miller is.

[ame=http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=White+miller+fly&ie= UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_nf=1&gs_mss=White%20iller %20fly&pq=white%20miller%20fly&cp=7&gs_id=8&xhr=t& q=White%20Miller%20fly&pf=p&client=safari&rls=en&s client=psy-ab&oq=White+Miller+fly&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_g c.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=bef134f9ffa24d78&biw=953&bih=918]White miller fly - Google Search[/ame]
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Okay.... I've always known the August white mayfly blanket hatch as white millers. If that's not your preferred term,
    ...then so be it and good for you

As for the bug in question....
    The speckled leading edge of the wing says calibaetis all over it and that's probably it.
    The only problem I have with that is the location.... SW. PA.
    Here in southern New England I've never witnessed the calibaetis locally (not that I know all the local hatches) but in colder areas in northern New England , I've seen them alot.
    It's my opinion that they need a somewhat cooler clime than the Pittsburgh area offers
    ... just a guess
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

We get small mayfly hatches here that look very much like that. Ours have no color to them other than the white. The tails (2) are about double the length of the body. They are pretty much the same size as the one pictured. There are hatches all summer long and the Mooneye love them. I have tried to figure out what they are but my area has little info on this not being a trout type place.

Callibaetis.
    Around here a #14-16 Parachute Adams would be the ticket.

I think it is a dime. Well, could be 10 cents. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I have recently seen a mayfly here in Ohio that is almost transparent that comes off the water in slow moving creeks during early evening. The bluegill and rock bass go nuts.

6. Likes Guest1 liked this post

If it's a Callibeatis, then it is a species (sp?) that I am unfamiliar with... too small, wrong body color, wrong wing color, tails are WAY too short... other than all that though...

"Joe"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring

8. Likes mcnerney, brucerducer liked this post

I could always be wrong, but that's what we've called a Callibaetis around these parts for as long as I can remember.

To me the one in your pic is too big, wrong body color (too dark),wing coloration pattern is the same but much darker, and the tails, I've seen both long and short.

*(BTW I was being to be comical in the last sentence by saying everything the opposite of Joe, not sure it comes across that way though).*
    Last edited by fysh; 08-24-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Exclamation Re: Identification anyone?

Whoa....
    The Callibaetis can be found in different sizes and in a variety of different shades with 12 different species in the genus.
    And that doesn't count the difference between duns and spinners !
    I saw some crippled duns this past June in northern Maine that were the same coloration as in stenacron's picture and easily 1.5 to 2 inches long.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

The primary determining factor that is easy to I.D. is the color on the top of the wing, that usually indicates still water which usually indicates a Calibaetis.

Most commonly if it is in moving water it will have no color on wing and will be a Baetis.

These rules are not pure but are a great simple rule.

Though small and paler grey than most, I too go with Calibaetis (with broken tails).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast