do you know what this is ?

kicker19

Reaction score
went out late in the afternoon and found SEVERAL on the water and flying around. have looked around but no clue what these are
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

this is another one. i put this up because i have been given two different names on the same one.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
No pictures / will not open

You should use an on-line photo hosting site like flicker or photo bucket and load the images from there.

Ard

kicker19

Reaction score
im using photobucket. trying to figure out why its not coming showing up

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

GOT IT !!!!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Pictures are up; the first is a caddis fly and the second a may fly. Someone may be able to get species specific but if I were fishing I'd use a buff or tan caddis & a large Light Cahill for the may fly hatch.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
You're Welcome,

I lived right down in Newnan area for about 20 months back in 1990 / 92. I enjoyed my time in Georgia very much.

Ard

silvertip8k

Reaction score
I've been gone for a week...super shot of the caddis...and a classic may fly pic too...I have to get out my Jim Schollmeyer book to see which exact one...

thanks for getting the pics...t

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
The first seems a bit odd for a caddis, perhaps more closely an Alderfly? Second appears to be a March Brown Mayfly or something similar, right time of year, and about the right size.

Kelly.

stenacron

Reaction score
The first seems a bit odd for a caddis, perhaps more closely an Alderfly?
I agree, something is just off about those eyes... they seem too big for a caddisfly. Maybe not though.

I'm going with Ard on that second specimen; Stenacron interpunctatum (female, dun)... aka Light Cahill :p

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

Just curious, did these insects come from a warmwater river?

kicker19

Reaction score
I've shown those same pictures to several folks at the local fly shop and they said the first one was a caddis (they also showed me how to tie a few!) I have not used the caddis patterns yet but I have used a griffins knat as a substitute with very good results. Strangely I have not seen any fishing rising to the mayfly.

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

I just searched the alderfly and I don't believe it's that. The alderfly almost looks like a stonefly, just shorter and more broad. Plus it seems thier eyes are not that large

stenacron

Reaction score
I've shown those same pictures to several folks at the local fly shop and they said the first one was a caddis (they also showed me how to tie a few!) I have not used the caddis patterns yet but I have used a griffins knat as a substitute with very good results. Strangely I have not seen any fishing rising to the mayfly.

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

I just searched the alderfly and I don't believe it's that. The alderfly almost looks like a stonefly, just shorter and more broad. Plus it seems thier eyes are not that large
That's why I was asking if these came from a warmwater river (or even a lake/pond). I have never seen a trout stream (coldwater) dwelling caddisfly with giant bugeyes like that. In that first picture, if that is the abdomen (hidden behind the underwing) with a long stinger-like (although probably a sex organ) appendage protruding... Then I'm pretty sure that it is not a caddisfly.

Likewise with fly #2... 100% positive that it's a freshly hatched dun... 100% positive that it's a female... about 75% sure that it's a Stenacron (although the barring in the wings is more extensive than I'm used to seeing)... 0% sure on interpunctatum (just my best guess).

My amateur entomology only extends as far as I need for fly-fishing in cold rivers and streams though... so if these insects came from warmwater, all bets are off. :D

silvertip8k

Reaction score
the one thing I do know about various bugs is this...that there are literally thousands of variant species and sub species...

the "caddis" is a bit different than I am used to seeing...I wish I was familiar with the "alderfly", but Im not..

bottom line...if this came from a place you fish...tie up something that looks like it and give it a pitch...

I made up a caddis recently that could be easily adapted to something like the bug you got that pic of...you can easily add a few "sprigs" of feather barbs for antennae if you like...I do this only when fishing really slow water...

this one is patterned after a slightly darker version...maybe try some mallard CDC or a lighter flank feather for the wings...in this one I used a bronze chest feather from a drake mallard...

here is an SBS if you are interested for this fly...

good luck...and thanks for taking the time to take and post the great pics...t:D

wandering monks pattern of the month2 | tales of a wandering monk

kicker19

Reaction score
That's why I was asking if these came from a warmwater river (or even a lake/pond)
Sorry about that I over looked that question. It is a cold water river (chattahoochee river, near Atlanta) the river has several dams that flow pretty often, during the winter I'd guess to water gets to the low 40's, during the summer upper 60's (I'm not exact on this)

Silvertip8k: I'd have to say that is a beautiful fly, I believe it would do very well in this region

On certain days when the bug life is substantial on the water, I see so many bugs I cannot identify (or catch; if you could imagine a fisher scurrying through a river grabbing at things at the surface, you can picture what I look like some days)

stenacron

Reaction score
Although not targeted for your area of the country, here's a link to the Upper Delaware River Insects page which has; pictures, scientific names, common names, key field markings, etc. The Upper D is a large tailwater river just like the Chattahoochie so there's probably a fair amount of overlap...at least to the Genus level.

link: Stenacron canadense, Light Cahill

kicker19

Reaction score
That site is very good. I learned about it from another thread. I tell ya, over the past few days the amount of bug sources being shared on this forum have been substantial. Truly exciting stuff

sandfly

Reaction score
1st one is called a speckled peter and is a caddis
2nd one is a light cahill
march brown is more reddish in color and has 3 tails.
alder fly would eat those others for dinner. and is a relative to the helgramite (aka: wooly bugger)

Rip Tide

Reaction score
alder fly would eat those others for dinner. and is a relative to the helgramite
Just an FYI
Here in New England the bug that most people call a zebra caddis is commonly called an alder fly (2 words)
It's not the same animal as the alderfly (one word) that's a relative of the helgramite/Dobson fly.

Alderfly

Alder fly :D