Yellow Stonefly

jaybo41

Reaction score
While fishing last weekend, I found this guy hanging out in some tall grass. Interestingly, it was the only one I saw and no risers either. It was however, the perfect opportunity to put the new camera to work.

stenacron

Reaction score
Stonefly, and nice shot.

That's what most anglers call a Yellow Sally (Isoperla sp.). Keep an eye out for them... if your stream holds a good supply they can provide good dry fly fishing as they hatch midstream and ride the current like a mayfly (most stoneflies crawl out on rocks to hatch).

They come in lime green too. :D

jaybo41

Reaction score
Thanks for the kudos. We were on the hunt this day for trout rising to cranes and did see a few of those fluttering about in the air but interestingly, few if any trout rose to them. I was on the stream bank watching my bud cast at a run hoping to hook into some fish and noticed that Yellow Sally hanging out on the blade of grass. Since I wasn't casting, I figured messing around with the camera might be a good idea. I was hoping to see more of them, but sadly that was the only one we saw that afternoon. I'll guess that it was about a #14. I guess it was a good thing I didn't see more, I didn't have any yellow stimulators with me:)

dean_mt

Reaction score
Yep, little Yellow Sally, its a mainstay on western streams all summer. What size was one? They are generally around 16 or 18 in my parts. A small stimi or sparse caddis will suffice, just trim the hackle flat on the bottom, get it down in the water.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Jay: Nice shot of the yellow sally, here ours are more the size 16/18 that John sees up his way.

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
Just the end of last week, we had a great little Yellow Sallie hatch come off one of our local waters. SE Oregon. Dry fly action was hot for a couple of hours... Can't have much more fun than that.

silvertip8k

Reaction score
again...my favorite spot on the forum...a major player in western waters for sure...evidently in the east too...you have everyone digging out yellow dubbing and thread about now!

great pic and thanks for sharing...t

silvertip8k

Reaction score
I just dyed up some mallard flanks with a yellow alcohol based dye from three rivers archery...should make some perfect wings for the yellow bug...

its funny I just got reports this week from the gunnison about not ony the monster stones coming off...but also yellow sallies too...

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
The Little Sally's are now plentiful just a week later, generally fished in a 16. Don't worry, I had plenty of them in the box :D

jaybo41

Reaction score
The Little Sally's are now plentiful just a week later, generally fished in a 16. Don't worry, I had plenty of them in the box :D
Go figure! The Sallies are coming off all over the area. Isn't that the way it usually works there? You get home, settled and read about plentiful hatches taking place? :p

stenacron,

Thanks for that link, it looks like a good one to tie.