Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellow Stonefly

Blog Entries

Default Yellow Stonefly

While fishing last weekend, I found this guy hanging out in some tall grass. Interestingly, it was the only one I saw and no risers either. It was however, the perfect opportunity to put the new camera to work.

~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

2. Likes spiderninja liked this post

Default Re: Yellow Stonefly

Stonefly, and nice shot.

That's what most anglers call a Yellow Sally (Isoperla sp.). Keep an eye out for them... if your stream holds a good supply they can provide good dry fly fishing as they hatch midstream and ride the current like a mayfly (most stoneflies crawl out on rocks to hatch).

They come in lime green too.
    "Joe"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring

Blog Entries

Thanks for the kudos. We were on the hunt this day for trout rising to cranes and did see a few of those fluttering about in the air but interestingly, few if any trout rose to them. I was on the stream bank watching my bud cast at a run hoping to hook into some fish and noticed that Yellow Sally hanging out on the blade of grass. Since I wasn't casting, I figured messing around with the camera might be a good idea. I was hoping to see more of them, but sadly that was the only one we saw that afternoon. I'll guess that it was about a #14. I guess it was a good thing I didn't see more, I didn't have any yellow stimulators with me
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

Yep, little Yellow Sally, its a mainstay on western streams all summer. What size was one? They are generally around 16 or 18 in my parts. A small stimi or sparse caddis will suffice, just trim the hackle flat on the bottom, get it down in the water.

Blog Entries

Jay: Nice shot of the yellow sally, here ours are more the size 16/18 that John sees up his way.
    Larry

Blog Entries

Just the end of last week, we had a great little Yellow Sallie hatch come off one of our local waters. SE Oregon. Dry fly action was hot for a couple of hours... Can't have much more fun than that.

8. Likes utah daveii liked this post

again...my favorite spot on the forum...a major player in western waters for sure...evidently in the east too...you have everyone digging out yellow dubbing and thread about now!

great pic and thanks for sharing...t

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
    public water 20"er
    public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
    a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
    ...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
    http://wmflyrodco.com/

10. Likes stenacron liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by CutThroat Leaders View Post
    Just the end of last week, we had a great little Yellow Sallie hatch come off one of our local waters. SE Oregon. Dry fly action was hot for a couple of hours... Can't have much more fun than that.
    Fished the same hatch today on the same water. It was a blast.

I just dyed up some mallard flanks with a yellow alcohol based dye from three rivers archery...should make some perfect wings for the yellow bug...

its funny I just got reports this week from the gunnison about not ony the monster stones coming off...but also yellow sallies too...

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
    public water 20"er
    public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
    a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
    ...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
    http://wmflyrodco.com/

Just tied up a little variety pack of sallies myself!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast