Caddis...everywhere!

jaybo41

Reaction score
I went out this past Saturday and saw these guys everywhere. I mean everywhere!

They started slowly around 9:30ish and the hatch progressively got thicker over the next couple of hours before starting to dwindle. They were flocking to the trees.

If you click the link above the blank video section, it will take you to the videos. Sorry, I'm not sure how I can get the video to show up from Photobucket.

[ame]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee33/jaybo41/2016%20Neshannock%20Creek/99E66DE0-0B36-445D-A04C-CE03FD572CFA_zpsguc7ahkq.mp4[/ame]

[ame]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee33/jaybo41/2016%20Neshannock%20Creek/D9598511-CABF-4E6C-9042-D4C6132213C4_zpsta6rfl2x.mp4[/ame]

The interesting thing to me is my luck all day came on caddis nymphs and a Two Bit. I only saw three noses come up despite the high numbers of caddis that hatched throughout the day.

[ame]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee33/jaybo41/2016%20Neshannock%20Creek/EAC1CFE3-DA65-4E73-B0DD-8BE3E386B90E_zpsoiy0yugs.mp4[/ame]

Bluebird skies and unseasonably warm for mid April here in PA. We hit the mid 70's.

Last edited:

bigspencer

Reaction score
Nice jaybo41,
The unfortunate part of it all usually is the water temperature, often still pretty cold up towards the surface. The trout are down where it's more comfortable...grabbing the larva and pupa as they swim/drift up towards the surface. It's where the water thermometer helps point to how deep the trout will be...

stenacron

Reaction score
Looks like somebody had a case of the Grannoms. :D

Weird thing - back in PA my go-to fly for these was a Partridge & Green soft hackle. They went bonkers over it.

Out west - I can actually get them to grab a dry, but not always. Still carry plenty of soft hackles. ;)

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I was just out in my garden where I have some black plastic laid out where I'm trying to "cook" a nasty tomato fungus that I had last season
There were Hendrickson spinners laying eggs on the plastic :rolleyes:
Not so good for the Hendricksons but some nice mojo looking forward toward tomorrow's hatch

stenacron

Reaction score
I was just out in my garden where I have some black plastic laid out where I'm trying to "cook" a nasty tomato fungus that I had last season
There were Hendrickson spinners laying eggs on the plastic :rolleyes:
Not so good for the Hendricksons but some nice mojo looking forward toward tomorrow's hatch
Is that considered "early" for your neck of the woods? I spoke to my buddy back in PA and asked if he was hitting the Hendrickson hatch and he told me that they already came and went.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Is that considered "early" for your neck of the woods? I spoke to my buddy back in PA and asked if he was hitting the Hendrickson hatch and he told me that they already came and went.
No not early, just the beginning
They're very sparse at this point, but in another week it will clockwork
Hit the water at 1:30pm, check your watch, hatch starts at 2 :D

cab

Reaction score
I like to go back the next day and drift a Hare's Ear through the likely spots. Those fish have had a big munch, and are HOWNGREEE!.

Nice filming, BTW.

CAB

jaybo41

Reaction score
Looks like somebody had a case of the Grannoms. :D

Weird thing - back in PA my go-to fly for these was a Partridge & Green soft hackle. They went bonkers over it.

Out west - I can actually get them to grab a dry, but not always. Still carry plenty of soft hackles. ;)
Yep, the grannom hatch has come and gone. I tried my usual tricks here, I can generally fool them with natural dun CDC and Elk but no such luck this time. I tried black, peacock, tan, and olive elk hair caddis too. No luck. The dropper was ineffective either, I was running a CDC emerging caddis and switched it up to to a partridge and peacock and I had a tan spider running behind the various combinations. No love there either. I had to dredge em up. I did however manage to find plenty of wiling fish in the riffles and that was pretty cool.

First fly I tie on is a streamer and I couldn't get a take on one of those either so nymphing it was.

L

Liphookedau

There's a very similar Caddis over here which hatches & swarms just on dark however they haven't been many Fish rising to them lately as Water which is used by The remaining Power Station is constantly being pumped in to fill & keep The Lake Full for The Winter Power Generation has been around 21C so The Fish are Feeding Deeper.
Brian