Case Building Caddis

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Very cool video. Do all caddis fly larva do something similar? I've never heard of this before.
There's basicallly 3 kinds of caddis larva.
Case builders, net makers, and free living.
But even among the case builders, different caddis build different cases.
Some of stone like in the video, some of carefully aligned sticks, some of stream bed detritus and some of silk
Probably other stuff as well.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
:secret:
You add that little bit about the 3 types of caddis to the fact that there's basically 4 kinds of mayfly nymphs;
swimmers, clingers, crawlers, and burrowers
and you've got a lot of information to build on without a lot of useless Latin to confuse things ;)

darwin

Reaction score
This one shows the making of the Caddis video above. Great find Rip Tide.

[ame]http://youtu.be/svpP4HdsNI8[/ame]

jonbo

Reaction score
Some like gold and pearls!

Here are some pretty neat cases

The Ornate Protective Cases of Caddisfly Larvae «TwistedSifter
Bling caddis! Can the bling caddis feeding trout detect counterfeit? I might not be able to afford real bling caddis casing.

---------- Post added at 07:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 AM ----------

:secret:
You add that little bit about the 3 types of caddis to the fact that there's basically 4 kinds of mayfly nymphs;
swimmers, clingers, crawlers, and burrowers
and you've got a lot of information to build on without a lot of useless Latin to confuse things ;)
I just use pheasant tails and hare's ear nymphs for all of them. For the adults parachute adams in different sizes! (JK!)

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I just use pheasant tails and hare's ear nymphs for all of them. For the adults parachute adams in different sizes! (JK!)
There ya go !
Knowledge is SO overrated !

(what's really important is using the latest and greatest gear :thumbup:)

jonbo

Reaction score
I can never seem to get enough specific information about the insects at the different waters that I fish to amount to anything really useful.

guest64

Account on hold
Reaction score
I can never seem to get enough specific information about the insects at the different waters that I fish to amount to anything really useful.
Best way to get specific info for the streams you fish is to collect it yourself.

Carry a seine (paint strainer bag works), small ruler, and a camera. Use a notebook to record observations, water temps, time of day, and stream locations. Use the web (eg troutnut.com) to research your findings.

At least for me, that makes the experience more satisfying and in the long run I think I catch more fish.

timcat

Reaction score
Nice videos. I've seen some clips of that DVD "Bugs of the Underworld" that look pretty cool for mayflies and midges on youtube, but nothing on caddis (for free). I've been thinking about buying a copy. Anybody have it? What are your thoughts.

Luckily, most of the cased caddis on rivers I fish make their cases with sand, clay/mud and plant matter, so the cases are pretty uniform in color usually. The color just depends on where they are in the river (probably the species too, but I don't try to key them out like some do). Basically I tie in a small amount of dear hair facing forward on a nymph hook sized appropriately, weight it with some wire, and dub up to the hair tips with the color of choice. Voila! cased caddis... kinda. Some people actually glue sand and pebbles onto their flies. They look great, but I'm not gonna go through the effort.