Help identifying a critter

pho_phizzat

Reaction score
I was fishing the Bighorn in Montana this past weekend and we found some strange critters on the bottom of the rocks in the river. I failed to get a picture and after spending a few hours looking through aquatic species photos I figured I'd ask the experts in here.

They were about the size of a thumbnail but a bit more elongated. They were firm too the touch and almost looked like a horseshoe crab. if you pulled them off the rock they would sorta roll up like a taco of sorts. They were not a leech, sowbug or scud of any kind, very flat. They seemed to have a sort of spin down their back and some markings along the spine.

Any of you ever see anything like that? Know what the heck it was?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
That's the one I found but couldn't upload Rich! Vernal Pool Tadpole Shrimp

Without a photo these things can be very difficult to figure out, basically it is hit & miss as suggestions come in. My Photo Bucket is not loading / working properly at this time so I cannot paste an image. However out of curiosity I goggled Fresh Water Crustaceans and got many results. The Vernal Pool Tadpole Shrimp was interesting but probably not your species as it occurs only in California. But take a look at freshwater crustaceans of the US and go from there.

If you actually found that specific critter in Montana you have uncovered a rare thing indeed, probably not though.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
I just googled 'freshwater horseshoe crab,' and that thing popped up. I've personally never seen a real one in the water here in AZ, and the only reason I knew that they existed at all was because I saw a picture of one in a recent National Geographic issue.

As for posting the pic, I just right clicked the image, scrolled down to 'copy image address,' left clicked, then came back to NAFFF and clicked the pic button and pasted the address into the box. Most of the time that works. Sometimes, for no apparent reason, it doesn't.

Wondering now if I tied a freshwater horseshoe fly pattern, if I'd catch trout. Or anything at all for that matter.

Peace.

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Just found these tidbits of info:

"Triops longicaudatus (commonly called longtail tadpole shrimp, American tadpole shrimp, or rice tadpole shrimp) is a freshwater crustacean of the order Notostraca, resembling a miniature horseshoe crab. It is characterized by an elongated, segmented body, a flattened shield-like brownish carapace covering two thirds of the thorax, and two long filaments on the abdomen. Triops refers to its three eyes, and longicaudatus refers to the elongated tail structures. Triops longicaudatus is found in freshwater ponds and pools, often in places where few higher forms of life can exist. Like its relative Triops cancriformis, the longtail tadpole shrimp is considered a living fossil because its basic prehistoric morphology has changed little in the last 70 million years, exactly matching their ancient fossils. Triops longicaudatus is one of the oldest animal species still in existence."

"Triops longicaudatus is widespread in North America. In Canada, it is found only in the provinces of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.[7] It is widespread throughout the contiguous United States, Mexico, and Hawaii, but not Alaska. Tadpole shrimps may be found in parts of South America, in (Argentina and Galápagos Islands),[8] the West Indies, and the Pacific Islands, including Japan and New Caledonia.[9] The related European species Triops cancriformis is an endangered species in the United Kingdom, and is legally protected under Schedule 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981."

Of course, if the critter he found isn't this thing, then I just wasted everyone's time that read all of that right there.

Peace x2.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

Triops longicaudatus is found in freshwater ponds and pools, often in places where few higher forms of life can exist.

Just re-read that. I guess it isn't what he found, if he found it in a river. Sorry people. Made you read a bunch of Latin for nothing.

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Based on that information Rich I'd say we have a winner! The one I found was specific to California and listed as Endangered.

pho_phizzat

Reaction score
Boy that was fast. You guys are on it.

That is pretty close to what i was to thinking it looked like but not quite what i saw.

Think that thing you posted but mixed with a leech. so it had a hard spine and was the general shape of what you posted but it seems to elongate on the tail end sorta like a leech.

stenacron

Reaction score
Per jaydub's suggestion.

Pretty common trout stream critter, especially in freestone environments.