Aquatic Macroinvertebrate Collection

Rip Tide

Reaction score
There's a local volunteer water quality monitoring program and I spotted this link that they use for their "riffle bioassessment"

Aquatic Macroinvertebrate Collection

The Last Green Valley Water Quality Monitoring Program is finishing up the final weeks of the Riffle Bioassessment season. Riffles are stretches of streams where the stones on the bottom physically impact the water on the surface of a small stream. This turbulence causes the water to be rich in dissolved oxygen. Certain types of insects live part of their life underwater in these environments. Some of them are very sensitive to water pollution. Because a lot is known about how the bugs react to pollution, TLGV volunteers can use the bugs as bio-indicators of water quality. When four or more of the pollution sensitive bugs are collected in a sample, we know that the water quality must be good, or else they wouldn’t be there.

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
Cool site and Amazing photo's.Pretty neat that they determine the quality of the water by the number of bug's collected in a sample.

Great entomology info also.I had no idea caddisflies produce silk.

Piscifunreels

Trade Member
Reaction score
That's amazing. Sleek & simple interface. But the site contains lots of info. Could zoom in, wow:thumbsupu
Thanks for sharing

Last edited by a moderator:

JDR

Reaction score
I helped with a year long macro invertebrate study of the Davidson River, a couple of years ago. It was one of the best experiences I have had. I learned so much about the river and the "bugs" that I would gladly do it again. The project was the Doctoral study for a very talented PHD candidate and his mentor from Clemson University. The really cool thing about this study was that it was a 10 year follow up to a previous macro invertebrate study, and the the data could be compared to past information. The result was good news as the Davidson River is in very condition as a trout stream. The Davison is in Western North Carolina, near the town of Brevard.