Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big yellow mayfly

Default Re: Big yellow mayfly

Quote Originally Posted by delopez View Post
    Northwestern Missouri

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Got this link on a MO bugs site:
    Giant Mayfly - Bug Scientific Name, Characteristics, Classification, Taxonomy, Territorial Reach and Size
    "Joe"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring

Excellent find. Those are definitely it. Another hatch that happens on the Missouri River in my area is a giant gray mayfly. Anyway, I love dry fly fishing with giant dry flies and an eight weight!

3. Likes stenacron liked this post
    Blog Entries

When I was living in Ft. Collins, CO. I once found the biggest yellow mayfly I had ever seen on a warm water lake. If memory serves me correct it's the same species. Only saw the one. Some people were doubtful but I also caught lightning bugs there as well. If only cameras where so readily available then.lol
    Nice fish! Do you have anymore pictures of it lying in the dirt?
    As publicity increases so does the propensity of tripping over yards of mono attached to a Dipsey sinker.

5. Likes stenacron liked this post

I came across a similar hatch when I was fishing a lake in Central Vermont over the 4th. Hatch started about dusk and fish were rising to them. They were pale yellow which sort of threw me off since the only Hexes I've gotten a good look at were on a lake in Northern Ontario and they were olive-gray color. Caught one little smallmouth on a yellow spider, and missed a couple of more. The next evening when I came back with some large soft hackles there weren't near as many mayflies or fish rising.

Quote Originally Posted by corn fed fins View Post
    When I was living in Ft. Collins, CO. I once found the biggest yellow mayfly I had ever seen on a warm water lake. If memory serves me correct it's the same species. Only saw the one. Some people were doubtful but I also caught lightning bugs there as well. If only cameras where so readily available then.lol
    Quite literally headed back from fort Collins, now... Ha!

I'm a little late on this, but I've seen them here in northeast Kansas, not far from delopez. I've had a very knowledgeable person say they are more common here than people realize, but due to night hatches, they go relatively unobserved.

Hexagenia make for excellent smallmouth fishing, btw. I learned that researching and fishing a Michigan smallie stream.

You're fine. I actually see these from spring to fall around me.

Sorry for ill timed humor.
    Last edited by just4grins; 08-18-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12