The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Entomology Basic entomology for the fly fisher to help identify insects that one might encounter on the stream or in a stillwater.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 07-14-2017, 11:16 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Big yellow mayfly

Anyone know what this is? Very big. Hex? Yellow Drake. Off of a pond. Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jpbfly liked this post
Old 07-15-2017, 08:53 PM

flybri2 is a jewel in the roughflybri2 is a jewel in the roughflybri2 is a jewel in the roughflybri2 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Big yellow mayfly

Not sure where you're located but here in the east I would say the 1st two are sulfurs (even though the one looks big), the bottom on is a golden drake.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:57 PM

stenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a burrowing type of mayfly... likely a Hexagenia species... not 100% though, but the indicators are there.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 07-15-2017, 09:11 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Assuming golden Drake is a hex species

Old 07-16-2017, 09:45 AM

stenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post

Assuming golden Drake is a hex species
Not according to Troutnut.com... Golden Drake is a cold, flowing water mayfly species of the genus Anthopotamus. Now it is quite possible that Golden Drake is a common name applied to multiple species (i.e. Blue-winged Olive) or regionally applied (i.e. Green Drake east vs west are not the same species or genus).

If you're sure this specimen hatched from a stillwater environment that should narrow the search.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:49 AM

Yep. I'm sure. I know it's a hex fly. But which one!? I guess I should just capture one and tie off of it.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:17 AM

kentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yep. I'm sure. I know it's a hex fly. But which one!? I guess I should just capture one and tie off of it.

I understand about match the hatch and have read a little on entomology but i do not fish for trout very often.Does the fly really have to be that detailed or would any yellow mayfly pattern in same color same size work?Do the trout take the time to check out the details on a surface fly or do they just see something they associate with that hatch and go for it?
Just curious.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:36 AM

Actually, this is on a pond with largemouth bass, catfish, etc. Catfish rise to these. I fish a lot of warm water species. At night, they go nuts over these.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney, corn fed fins liked this post
Old 07-16-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Hexagenia limbata are well represented in warmwater lakes. What part of the country are you in?

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes corn fed fins, dharkin liked this post
Old 07-16-2017, 12:14 PM

Northwestern Missouri