Big yellow mayfly

delopez

Reaction score
Anyone know what this is? Very big. Hex? Yellow Drake. Off of a pond.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

flybri2

Reaction score
Not sure where you're located but here in the east I would say the 1st two are sulfurs (even though the one looks big), the bottom on is a golden drake.

stenacron

Reaction score
Looks like a burrowing type of mayfly... likely a Hexagenia species... not 100% though, but the indicators are there.

delopez

Reaction score
Assuming golden Drake is a hex species

stenacron

Reaction score
Assuming golden Drake is a hex species
Not according to Troutnut.com... Golden Drake is a cold, flowing water mayfly species of the genus Anthopotamus. Now it is quite possible that Golden Drake is a common name applied to multiple species (i.e. Blue-winged Olive) or regionally applied (i.e. Green Drake east vs west are not the same species or genus).

If you're sure this specimen hatched from a stillwater environment that should narrow the search. ;)

delopez

Reaction score
Yep. I'm sure. I know it's a hex fly. But which one!? I guess I should just capture one and tie off of it.

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
Yep. I'm sure. I know it's a hex fly. But which one!? I guess I should just capture one and tie off of it.

I understand about match the hatch and have read a little on entomology but i do not fish for trout very often.Does the fly really have to be that detailed or would any yellow mayfly pattern in same color same size work?Do the trout take the time to check out the details on a surface fly or do they just see something they associate with that hatch and go for it?
Just curious.

delopez

Reaction score
Actually, this is on a pond with largemouth bass, catfish, etc. Catfish rise to these. I fish a lot of warm water species. At night, they go nuts over these.

stenacron

Reaction score

Hexagenia limbata are well represented in warmwater lakes. What part of the country are you in?

delopez

Reaction score
Excellent find. Those are definitely it. Another hatch that happens on the Missouri River in my area is a giant gray mayfly. Anyway, I love dry fly fishing with giant dry flies and an eight weight!

corn fed fins

Reaction score
When I was living in Ft. Collins, CO. I once found the biggest yellow mayfly I had ever seen on a warm water lake. If memory serves me correct it's the same species. Only saw the one. Some people were doubtful but I also caught lightning bugs there as well. If only cameras where so readily available then.lol

philly

Reaction score
I came across a similar hatch when I was fishing a lake in Central Vermont over the 4th. Hatch started about dusk and fish were rising to them. They were pale yellow which sort of threw me off since the only Hexes I've gotten a good look at were on a lake in Northern Ontario and they were olive-gray color. Caught one little smallmouth on a yellow spider, and missed a couple of more. The next evening when I came back with some large soft hackles there weren't near as many mayflies or fish rising.

delopez

Reaction score
When I was living in Ft. Collins, CO. I once found the biggest yellow mayfly I had ever seen on a warm water lake. If memory serves me correct it's the same species. Only saw the one. Some people were doubtful but I also caught lightning bugs there as well. If only cameras where so readily available then.lol
Quite literally headed back from fort Collins, now... Ha!

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
I'm a little late on this, but I've seen them here in northeast Kansas, not far from delopez. I've had a very knowledgeable person say they are more common here than people realize, but due to night hatches, they go relatively unobserved.

Hexagenia make for excellent smallmouth fishing, btw. I learned that researching and fishing a Michigan smallie stream.

delopez

Reaction score
You're fine. I actually see these from spring to fall around me.