Looking for pic of California Caddis

yikes

Reaction score
I'm looking for a picture of the "Diplectrona californica" in any form/stage (larvae, pupae, adult). When I do a goole image serch, even when using exact quotes "Diplectrona californica" to narrow th searh, I get returns for other Diplectrona.

Any advice on where/how to look?

planettrout

Reaction score
Here is a general description:

GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Adult length about 7-10 mm. Head and thorax black with yellowish pubescence, palpi and antennae brown, forelegs brown, middle and hind legs pale yellowish. Wings broad, brownish yellow, with no pattern. Details of wing venation are given in original description. Females closely resemble males. The larva has not been described.

Additional information:

DISTRIBUTION: San Bernardino County, California. Known only from the type
locality and Thurman Flats.
HABITAT: No information has been published on the larva of this species, but other larvae in the genus live in fast-flowing, cool streams.
LIFE HISTORY/BEHAVIOR: Adults have been collected in May. Diplectrona larvae live in fixed retreats made mostly from plant materials, and spin attached silken "capture nets" which filter food particles from the water.

This is the source of the above information:

I could not find any photos...

Bigfly

Reaction score
I would make a bug seine and go to Thurman flats.....bring a specimen vial with rubbing alcohol.
Then go tie...........
At least, that's how it works here.......
If you do tie one up, don't forget to send a pic of the Thurman special!

Jim

Last edited:

yikes

Reaction score
When I was in high school, we used to joke that the most useless class ever would be "underwater basketweaving".

I now realize that as I'm researching the habitat of case caddis, I am essentially doing exactly that: studying underwater basketweaving.

Go figure.

stenacron

Reaction score
I'm looking for a picture of the "Diplectrona californica" in any form/stage (larvae, pupae, adult). When I do a goole image serch, even when using exact quotes "Diplectrona californica" to narrow th searh, I get returns for other Diplectrona.

Any advice on where/how to look?
Is there a chance it was reclassified? This happens quite a bit (species are grouped together under one genus, families condensed, etc.).

In similar searches, D. californica is a net-spinning caddis species under the Hydropsychidae family... so if you take it back a step, and Google Hydropsyche californica you'll see plenty of matching results. Could this be your bug?