Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default Ephoron leukon or white millers in western Wisconsin...

I was fishing my favorite western Wisconsin trout stream last night at dusk and saw two Ephoron leukons pop out of the water. At least that is what they looked like to me. I was somewhat surprised because I have always associated E. leukon with warmer water flowages such as the St. Croix, Mississippi, Rum, et al.

Has anyone run into any significant hatches of white millers on the western Wisconsin trout streams? Thanks.

stu

Default Re: Ephoron leukon or white millers in western Wisconsin...

They are present according to Fly Fishing Wisconsin: Hatches - http://flyfishingwis.com

We had very limited hatches locally on cool, limestone streams back in PA, but the more prolific hatches were (as you said) on larger, warmwater rivers.
    "Joe"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring

Default Re: Ephoron leukon or white millers in western Wisconsin...

I am pretty sure I fished a super thick hatch of them on a stream in Central WI when I lived there after college. I didnít have proper flies to match the hatch or anything (had just started fly fishing then) but it was cool to see.

ryan

4. Default Re: Ephoron leukon or white millers in western Wisconsin...

10-4 on the Wisconsin hatch charts... I've seen those too. I'm going to keep going in the evening when I can make time. It would be fun to see a significant hatch of those big white may flies similar in proportion to those I've seen on the Mississippi... a veritable blizzard of bugs as far as the eye can see up and down the river.

stu