Heptagenia?

wcoady

Reaction score
Hello folks. I found this spinner and was wondering if it is the genus heptagenia. I’m sure it’s from the family heptageniidae. It’s body is about 13mm long. I found it by a wastewater plant about 1km from a large slow river. Location is Edmonton Alberta Canada.
Thank you.94EF5074-5F04-4A8A-AFF9-6EFE15C1834A.jpg

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
It may be the other "Green Drake" ... Litobrancha Recuvata that hatches much later than Ephemera Guttalata. Its sometimes referred to as the " Dark Green Drake". Just my guess from looking at the pic. A picture of the dun would be easier to identify. The spinner pictured might be too small for a Recurvata Drake which is Usually a size 12. My other guess would be one of the Cahill type mayflies (Heptagenia).

Last edited:

dennyk

Reaction score
Looks like a smaller version of these:

They were out last week while I was Smallmouth fishing. These are easily 30 mm in length. I'm pretty sure they are Hexagenia limbata or Giant Michigan Mayfly.

Denny

stenacron

Reaction score
Two tails, wings at a 45* angle, light barring in the wings... Looks like a Stenacron (sp?) to me.

Then again, most things do. :p

Maybe something from the Light Cahill (common name) family.

redietz

Reaction score
Two tails, wings at a 45* angle, light barring in the wings... Looks like a Stenacron (sp?) to me.

Then again, most things do. :p

Maybe something from the Light Cahill (common name) family.
No stripes on the forelegs is a point against this.

stenacron

Reaction score
No stripes on the forelegs is a point against this.
Good eye Redietz, and I agree. I was purposefully vague in my answer as there are 122 species of mayflies listed for Alberta… I’m guessing that less than 1/3 of which are available to – or of interest to – trout and anglers. If there’s a chance this insect emerged from a warmwater river then all bets are off as my knowledge of insects reaches only to those available to trout and worth imitating for anglers.

Back in PA I used to fish the Delaware River quite a bit during the summer (warmwater river) and there were all kinds of mayflies hatching that I couldn’t ID. Easy to place them in a general category – Stenacron, Isonychia, etc. – but almost impossible to nail down exactly as most angler’s entomology references stick strictly to coldwater insects.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
You guys are Great!

I had a very local knowledge when I lived and fished in Northcentral Pennsylvania but don't venture into these topics at this time. I was thinking of some members specifically when I bumped the thread and you didn't disappoint.

This is just another example of what makes this the best forum going!

Thank you