Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  11
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is this a Midge?

Heard the big midges called a Buffalo midge. We have them here as well....Those sz 12 zebra midges had to be tied for something! My faith in fishing the midge grows every year.......

Jim
    The bar isn't set by the fish we catch, but by the one's we don't.

Bigfly

Hot Springs, Virginia/Harbor Springs, Michigan

Looks like a Toyota to me, but I'm not good with foriegn cars so I'm not sure. I honestly couldn't tell a midge from a Toyota..lol....which is why I'm in the entomology section browsing, sick of looking at my fly box and being cluless

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

Iíd call it a midge and tie on a black #20 or #18 RS2, doped up and in the film or same size black bodied Parachute ĎAdamsí cast with plenty of slack tippit.

Around here I tie a Palomino Midge in size 16 or 18 with hackle and a white angel hair wing and it seems to imitate the local midges like that one just fine. I've caught a lot of fish on this pattern. Just a "bench tie" I thought would work and it does.

I found the book "Midge Magic" by Don Holbrook to be rather insightful into the midge world.

I have put this link up before. It provides a fairly comprehensive look at Midges and patterns that can be used to imitate the various stages of their development. A lot of folks are intimidated at the thought of using Midges because of their small size. They are in the drift throughout the year and are most prolific in tailwaters. In stillwater, they are generally larger in size and are referred to as Chironomids. Below is their life cycle and these are the stages to imitate:

This is the link to Colorado Guide Flies. Scroll down to Chapter 2 and begin...

Colorado Guide Flies: Patterns, Rigs, & Advice from the State's Best Anglers ... - Pat Dorsey - Google Books

In most of the faster moving Western waters that I fish, I rarely use a midge pattern smaller than #22. Waters like the Swift River in Connecticut, can sometimes require patterns as small as #30...

Best Flies and Spots: Swift River Fly Fishing Intro | BlogFlyFish.com

Rick Takahashi"s and Jerry Hubka's " Modern Midges ", published in 2009 ,is also an excellent guide to tactics and patterns:

https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Midges.../dp/1934753009

More about Midges from Westfly:

Midges

The largest Brown Trout that I have caught, in the last ten years, took a #20 Cream Miracle Midge on the East Walker River in Bridgeport,CA in May of 2012 - before the drought kicked in. I probably have tied more Midge representations than almost any other other insect. The exception being Baetis / BWO's...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

8. Likes Bigfly liked this post

This is what I have found the carp to be feeding on ( or I believe they are) Chironomid, larva, they look similar to a small red translucent worm. I am now tying different patterns of them to see if I can trigger these damn carp to take more readily. By the time I think I got it figured out they will be on something else though. But those same midges are all over the place here, look like mosquitoes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123