Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
    Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and Shenandoah Rivers, Exploring NY and PNW rivers

Default what the heck kinda bug is this

So this past weekend I was checking out a small mouth bass spot on the Rappahanock River. As I was crossing a shallow back eddy on my way to the main channel, movement in the water caught my eye it seemed like the water was boiling there were so many bubbles rising to the surface. I got closer and took this crappy cell phone pic. Any ideas what they are? Thanks.20190727_162832.jpg
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

Default Re: what the heck kinda bug is this

Sunflower seed bugs. very rare. :-)

3. Thanks Critter thanked for this post
    Blog Entries

I'd call them 'Water Boatmen' need a better image to be sure but if they have 4 (I think) short legs and scurry in concentric patterns then I'd stick with my first impression.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

5. Likes jpbfly liked this post
    Blog Entries

I think they're gyrins.....those guys move like mad

Gyrin — Wikipedia

Quote Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
    I think they're gyrins.....those guys move like mad

Gyrin — Wikipedia
    AKA "whirligig beetles" AKA "water beetles".

In 60 years of fishing, I've only ever seen one eaten by a fish.
    Bob

8. Likes jpbfly liked this post

We always called those "whirligig beetles" too. I've never seen a fish eat one.

Blog Entries

Whirligig beetles of one species or another.

Waterboatman have two legs (one/side) that stick way out like oars. They are harmless but attract Backswimmers that look like waterboatman but they swim on their back and STING. Entomology of my swimming pool as a kid. You learned which ones not to grab with your hand. LOL
    Nice fish! Do you have anymore pictures of it lying in the dirt?
    As publicity increases so does the propensity of tripping over yards of mono attached to a Dipsey sinker.

Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    AKA "whirligig beetles" AKA "water beetles".

In 60 years of fishing, I've only ever seen one eaten by a fish.
    Some say they have a pretty effective chemical emittance which repels predation. Probably could be detected, I don't know, may even work to repel fish.

I've never seen one eaten and they're more than a little obvious to any fish nearby. Reckon they're pretty hard to catch given their manner of locomotion, but I kinda believe the chem repel theory as well. They've probably got something going on for themselves in that arena.

Some avoid casting near them, I find this to be near impossible given the numbers in my waters and haven't noticed any ill effects of dropping flies right through the melee if that's where I chose to cast.

Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and Shenandoah Rivers, Exploring NY and PNW rivers

Around here they seem to pool in clumps in back water, moving furiously, making the water look like it's boiling. I saw fish get about two feet away from them, facing their direction and making no effort to advance any closer, which I found to be weird. So much food so close by. I'm kinda leaning on the chemical predator repellent theory. Just in case that's right I will steer clear of the little rascals lest some of their chemical repellent in the water gets on my waders and repels fish away from me as I move up river, lol.
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

Whirligig beetle is right.

It's different from water boatman.

"Do yourself a favor. Take a kid fishing." - Franc White aka "The Southern Sportsman"

"Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch but how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed." - John Gierach

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau