What About The Reel?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
About reels,

I have landed silver salmon up to 11 lbs while using a 7'9" 5wt with an Orvis Battenkill 3/4 click and pawl reel on it. Although I was able to do this I do not recommend it. If you're having a good day you may hook and land more fish than will be enjoyable if you are under gunned.

Whatever rod you plan to fish with you should mount a reel larger than would normally be used. For instance; I use a Sage VT2 9' 7wt with a Lamson Velocity 3.5 on it. I sometimes wish the reel was a 4.0. Having a large reel serves several purposes. First, you will have plenty of room for backing. I use 36 lb saltwater micron. It is good to have at least 200 yds. on the spool. This gives you a faster retrieve and saves you from having to run behind a salmon that is emptying your reel faster than you ever thought could be done. Think big!

Disc drag is a must and I like one that will darn near stop the spool. I am going to start a thread about tippets and fishing techniques soon.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Ard: What the heck is this talk about a reel! I thought you told me you lived the subsistance life style and the only thing you used was a fishwheel and a dip net depending on the water conditions! LOL!
Seriously, I couldn't agree more, get a big reel for salmon fishing in AK and have plenty of backing.

Larry

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Allan,

The post regarding your questions about Alaska salmon and my answers have been moved to the Alaska General Discussion forum.

They work better there.................