Fly fishing for bigginers - roll cast

I

iulipwnz

The roll cast is a very efficient and effective cast and one you should absolutely know if you plan on fishing on creeks or streams. The primary purpose of the roll cast is to give you the ability to cast when a backcast is not possible. This may occur, for instance, if there are trees or bushes on either side or behind you. The roll cast is also effective when there is a stiff wind at your back or need to just quickly reset your fly.
The roll cast has evolved with the advent of the graphite rod. With older rods, like those made of fiberglass, it was more difficult to effectively load the rod. The roll cast was performed by raising the rod to a position slightly behind your ear and then quickly lowering the rod in the direction of the cast. Some describe the motion to that of “chopping a log.” A loop was formed and the line would feed out in front of you.
The graphite rod has made the roll cast fairly simple. With the line tight in front of you, lift the rod up to the one o’clock position (slightly behind your head). Then simply do a hard forward cast like you would do with an overhead cast. That’s it. The rod should load sufficiently to cast your fly in the direction you need. Don’t pause at the top position or the line will just pool in front of you.
What makes the roll cast work is the water surface tension on the line. This tension holds the line allowing you to load the rod during the forward cast. So, you will need to be near water to practice the roll cast.

Last edited by a moderator:

fire instructor

Reaction score
I've been attempting to learn the roll cast in my backyard, before going onto the water, were I would completely embarrass myself. :confused: I've been trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, but your post tells me -Not enough friction n the line to properly load the rod! Now I HAVE to find some water after work today!!!!

Thank you for the post! :thumbsupu

I

iulipwnz

No problem, Thanks :p

Last edited by a moderator:

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
I agree, the roll cast is an extremely effective method of casting. As mentioned, friction is a large part of the roll cast. If you would like to add friction to fly set-up to make roll casting easier, try changing your leader. Myself along with a few others on this forum hand craft furled leaders. Whether you use one of ours, some one else’s or make one yourself, you will see a large improvement in your roll casting. Furled leaders are not for everyone, but there is no question that they do indeed help load the rod during a roll cast.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me, see below.

jw12

Reaction score
While the roll cast is easy it definitely gets the job done. When I take a friend out who hasn't fly fished that is the first thing I show them

wolfglen

Reaction score
Re: Fly fishing for beginners - roll cast

Remember that the mechanics of a roll cast are almost the same as for an overhead cast, only the timing is changed.

For learning, you simply stand facing your target in a comfortable relaxed stance with the hand extended as though shaking hands with someone who is standing right toe to right toe to you.

Pretend that you have a rotten egg under your armpit and you don't want to drop or break it.

Keeping the elbow almost stationary slowly bring your forearm to a vertical position and as it nears vertical, the wrist cocks slightly backward so when the forearm is vertical the rod is at 1 o'clock (for the roll cast it can come a little farther back if you want.

WAIT until the line has crept toward you and stopped moving. At this point it will be hanging straight down from the rod tip.

Now the forearm moves smoothly while accelerating to a 45 degree position or 10:30 and the wrist straightens during the part of that motion between 11 and 10:30. At that point the forearm and rod should be straight. As the line unrolls, you lower the rod tip at the same rate of descent the line is falling.

It's similar to throwing a dart, knife, hatchet, tacking a nail in a wall, swatting a fly on wall etc. Going past 10 o'clock will result in driving the line down hard onto the water.

Once you've accomplished that, the back cast is made faster and you have an overhead cast.

On the roll cast, the line rolls under the rod tip on the back cast, on the overhead cast it rolls over the tip. Speed of back cast inbetween and the line hits the rod.

However, once you've mastered both the roll and over head cast you can make a back cast and stop halfway through, let the line fall and if you can adjust your timing make a forward cast similar to a roll cast.

This extended roll casts works great when the distance if too far for a regular roll cast and there are obstructions in back of you so you can't make a regular overhead cast.

Jack

silver creek

Reaction score
I've been attempting to learn the roll cast in my backyard, before going onto the water, were I would completely embarrass myself. :confused: I've been trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, but your post tells me -Not enough friction n the line to properly load the rod! Now I HAVE to find some water after work today!!!!

Thank you for the post! :thumbsupu
You can use a grass leader to provide the friction to lod the rod for a roll cast on lawns. Go down to the explanation of grass leaders on the thread below:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...question-regarding-grass-lawn-roll-casts.html

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Roll cast is also pretty darn effective at dislodging small nymphs that get caught up on rock.

silver creek

Reaction score
To get more distance I suggest a dynamic roll cast instead of adding a haul. Instead of sliding the line to you by raising the rod, in a dynamic roll cast you pick up the line and let it touch down behind you or touch down to the side and behind you. This forms the anchor and because the touchdown point is further behind or away from you, there is more line mass in the "D" loop. This loads the rod more and you can cast further.

I think it is easier to be accurate in judging the distance you will roll cast by managing the size of the "D" loop than by managing the velocity and distance of a haul added to a standard roll cast.

Then if you want more distance, you can add a haul to the dynamic roll. The two best teaching videos are:

Carl McNeil - Roll Cast and Dynamic Roll Cast Video​

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFDPIn0L0Uw[/ame]

Orvis video - Dynamic Roll Cast​

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnRzkW0F9ek[/ame]