About Buying Flies Online - By Steve Clark

Fish Bones

Reaction score
[img2="left"]http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/photos/files/4/computerwater8.jpg[/img2]About Buying Flies Online
By Steve Clark

For many fly-fisherman, fly-tying is a serious hobby. Not only is fly-tying economical, it is enjoyable. Nothing beats the thrill of mastering a new fly pattern, or creating specialized flies for ones’ unique fishing situations. Also, one cannot underestimate the sense of adventure that accompanies the fly-fisher on the prowl for the perfect materials, whether browsing the local fly shop, ransacking a craft store, or even salvaging road kill.

Given that tying your own flies provides so much satisfaction, why buy flies online?

Obtain local fly patterns

The first reason is that as your fly fishing experience grows, your desire to test new and foreign waters increases. As a result, your need for localized patterns becomes more important. Sure, you want to do the research and tie your own variations of the Club Sandwich before you hit the Snake River for the first time, but there’s something to be said about fishing the tried and true local patterns on your initial outings to foreign waters. With that idea established, you can either buy these flies from a local shop or purchase them online. I recommend doing both.

Say you live in New Jersey and you’re planning your first trip to Colorado. You and your buddies plan to hit a few a rivers within 10 days. Before you go, do research on the internet – find out what’s hatching on these rivers when you plan to visit them, and what patterns work best. Then, based on your research, purchase enough flies online to cover you while fishing these waters. Now you have a safety net – you won’t have to worry about not having enough flies for the rivers you’ll fish at the end of your trip.

Next, research local shops on the internet – find out who the proprietors are and when they are open for business. Now this idea might seem obvious to many of you, but make it a point to stop at these shops before you fish. When you arrive, ask them about recent fishing activity and what flies they would recommend. Tell them about your trip, let them know you found their site on the internet, and ask for their advice. Tell them what flies you already have and ask about what else you may need. If your budget allows, purchase as many of the flies they recommend.

Save time while supplementing your current collection

There comes a time in which your energy is better focused on fishing than tying flies. A typical North American fly-fisher and fly-tyer spends the “off” months tying flies for the season ahead. Many fisherman focus the bulk of their tying efforts on the winter months to prepare for spring, summer, and fall fishing. If you are one of those anglers who feel like they never have enough flies, purchasing your “basic” flies online can leave you time to focus on the more specialized, region-specific flies that you might not find on the web. For example, why not buy your attractor flies such as Adams or Stimulators, so that you can concentrate on the special mayfly flies that you know will require special attention to detail? The same idea applies to those “hard-to-tie” flies – if you dislike tying size 24 Tricos, why not buy those items online so you have more time to crank out the flies you prefer to tie?

Also, consider how much your time is worth. Think about your fly-tying time as if you were a professional fly-tyer. How much is an hour of your fly-tying time worth? If it takes you two hours to tie twelve size 26 BWO emergers, you might be better off spending $10 on a dozen of the same fly so that you can use those two hours to tie 18 Rusty Spinners.

Variety

No matter what you want to purchase, nothing beats the internet for window shopping. I have seen the same fly pattern tied three different ways on three different sites. This variety allows you to find the best pattern that matches your intended fishing location. For example, if you plan to fish faster moving water, your parachute patterns might need a bit more hackle, or even a brighter post. On the other hand, if you plan to fish tailwaters, your mayfly patterns might need to sit lower on the water. By the same token, if you intend to fish mostly in the spring, your mayfly patterns might need to be a lighter color than if you intend to fish in the fall.

By browsing different sites for the same patterns, you will be able to compare patterns and ascertain the right fly for you. The best way to do this is to open two or three browser windows at a time on your computer. Then go to different sites in each browser and compare the patterns you are interested in.

Save money

Quite simply, buying flies online can save you money. Not only can you find discounts for large orders, the actual cost of individual flies can be lower than if you purchased flies from some of the larger fly fishing retailers. The best online merchants often charge as little as 65 cents (sometimes, even 50 cents for fly patterns). One disadvantage is that you don’t get to inspect the flies before you purchase them, unlike in a store. I recommend buying a few different patterns your first time so that you can determine not only the quality of the flies, but the consistency of the quality across different patterns. For example, a good initial purchase might include a stonefly nymph, a caddis pattern, a mayfly emerger, a mayfly dun, and an attractor pattern. This way you could check the various elements of typical flies such as tails, dubbing, hackle, deer-hair, and hook strength.

Types of web sites

There are hundreds of web sites that sell flies online. These sites fall into two categories: companies that only sell flies, and fly shop owners who run web sites for their businesses.

Businesses whose sole purpose is to sell flies online usually have a greater amount of flies available. One advantage these sites offer is that they are more likely to offer discounts on larger purchases. Also, their web sites tend to be more user-friendly (though not always). Many of these sites typically include advanced functionality that make selecting and purchasing flies easier on the user. The best of these sites allow you to set up personal accounts or use “shopping carts” to store your selections before purchasing. In this manner, the purchase experience is more convenient. Shopping carts tend to be “persistent” – in that a visitor may select items to the cart one day and return to the site at later time to find that the shopping cart still contains the previous selections. This allows you to select items you are interested in, leave the site and do more research, then alter or add to your selections later.

Fly shop web sites, on the other hand, typically present the user with flies specifically relevant to the area that the fly shop services. You have a better chance of purchasing flies that are most effective to the area you want to fish if you purchase them from local fly shops. Furthermore, you are supporting the local economy of the area in which you desire to fish. Many fly shop web sites also include online hatch charts which can inform you of flies you most likely need.

The author’s experience

In the spring, and summer I do a lot of fishing on the Delaware River in the Catskills Mountains of New York. Throughout the winter I will tie a decent amount of the flies I actually need. As spring approaches, I have found that supplementing my collection with web-bought flies ensures that I am ready to meet the various hatches encountered in the spring. Any Delaware River fly fisherman will tell you that hatch-matching is a critical part of success on this river. In my limited experience, I have encountered days in which four or five different hatches took place. On top of that, the hatches change from week to week. I have ensured a decent modicum of success by checking local hatch charts ahead of time and then purchasing a dozen flies from week to week.

Hopefully, these tips will help you increase the amount of flies you own, and enhance your fly-fishing experience.

Article courtesy of Steve Clark at Fly Fishing, Fly Tying Information & Links - TotalFlyFishing.com

Fish Bones

Reaction score
[IMG2="left"]http://www.blueflycafe.com/3597/images/BF-Header-Logo.gif[/IMG2] I presently purchase 90% of my flies from the Blue Fly Cafe at www.blueflycafe.com <o =""></o>

Their flies are of good quality and consistency and cost only 60 or 65 cents each. That's cheaper than I can get them at wholesale for my fly shop. I've been buying flies from them for over five years and have been very happy with every order. Whenever i take a high mountain stream trip I'll order a couple dozen Royal Wulffs and I'm set.<o =""></o>

[IMG2="right"]http://www.customflys.net/banners/CFbannerunset.jpg[/IMG2]A good source for high quality custom tied flies is at Custom Flys... your on-line source for the finest in hand-tied trout, bass, steelhead and lake fish flys. Seeing is believing! www.customflys.net<o =""></o>

OK... now we should never neglect our local fly shops. It is to our benefit that they remain in business. The convenience factor is irreplaceable when we need something and need it now.<o =""></o>

Where do you get your flies???<o =""></o>

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I "roll my own'. If I buy them it is for the pattern so I can go home and tie them myself.

Fish Bones

Reaction score
fshfanatic said:
I "roll my own'. If I buy them it is for the pattern so I can go home and tie them myself.
Make sense to me... so, where do you get your material???

BigCliff

Reaction score
folx, check out sierratradingpost.com. They sell Umpqua overstocks by the dozen for 40% off or better. Alot of them I would never use, but I found some that I think are too much trouble to tie for about $7/dozen. Ex's: sz18 tungsten flashback pt's, size 10 flashfire muddlers, and size 16 double wings.

I'm real picky on fly quality, and that's why I prefer Umpqua and few others. I also like that their fly designers get a piece of the pie. (though they're not getting any from me at those prices)

All that being said, I tie 95% of what i fish.

Trout Bum

Reaction score
I like to tie but at those prices I will just buy them. 60 cents per fly? Sweet! Blue Fly Cafe here I come!

TB

Fish Bones

Reaction score
I consider myself a good tier and I enjoy tying. It is no doubt a fantastic stress reliever (unless perhaps you're tying size 32 Tricos or something similar). Fly tying is an important part of fly fishing and I certainly enjoy crafting those pieces of sporting art. Now... having said all of that, I still buy most of my flies. Especially the ones that I don't like to tie (small drys with upright wings, etc...) Also, with a couple of full time jobs and a full time family, it’s hard to find the time to sit and tie. <o =""></o>

If you want to tie flies because its fun and because you can... that's fine. If you're in to the artistic creation aspect... that's great. If you're in to the thrill you get when catching a fish on something that you've created... then that's wonderful. But if you just need a handful of flies to go fishing with, and time is short, consider how much your time is worth. If I can buy flies for 60 cents each, I probably will buy instead of tie.<o =""></o>

Bone Daddy

Reaction score
If I could get bonefish flies for 65 cents I'd never tie another one for the rest of my life. I can tie but will buy if the price is right on eBay.

Chris Hewett

Reaction score
I used to buy almost all of my (the ones I didn't tie myself, that is) from Yager's flies (www.yagersflies.com) they had excellent service, quality and were reasonably priced. I have only bought a couple dozen or so from them in the last year so I don't know if any of these qualities has changed. I do know that they have branched out into selling things other than flies but I have never purchased any of this stuff from them and cannot recommend them for anything but flies. They have a huge selection (500 plus patterns) so you might want to check them out.
One thing to note... their flies, as with many others (including Umpqua) are tied in Sri Lanka. There are some very high quality fly tiers here in the US if you prefer to support US tiers.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I am absolutely all for supporting USA manufacturers, but in the case of Sri Lanka, I look at it as tsunami relief as well. I know Sri Lanka has to have thousands of people who would refuse a handout and would rather work for their money. The Umpqua factories also employ mostly women, and I doubt its as easy for them to find work as it is for the men.

Don't mean that to imply that you were being inconsiderate or any thing like that. I just think people in many other countries need work just as bad and often worse than we do.

(Mike probably thinks I need a band-aid for my bleeding heart now.)

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
thefullcreel said:
Make sense to me... so, where do you get your material???
Most I got when I worked for Orvis in SLC, Utah. But I have alot for friends that hunt as well as myself.

wtex50

Reaction score
Great article - I travel in my job and don't have time (and some would say - patience) to tie my own flies. I have found both Blueflycafe and the Flyshack to have great pricing and consistent quality...Both run in the 65 - 75 cents range.

www.blueflycafe.com
www.flyshack.com

By the way - just got back from my first trip to Henry's Fork...Awesome trip... High winds forced us to the Warm Water section - drifting with a # 10 Brown rubberlegs with a #16 Red Copper John dropper - caught around 40 Rainbows and a few Browns - most in the 8 to 13 inch range but a half a dozen or so 16 -18 inchers.....anyone looking for a great guide - look up Henrys Fork Anglers...Bob Lamm has 30 yrs experience in that area

freeze69

Reaction score
blue fly cafe is awesome to buy from. placed a order last thursday and recieved on monday. great prices on both the flies and shipping. hats off to steve he turned me onto a great place to buy flies. tying some of my own but the ones i can't i'll buy from them.

dougm

Reaction score
You might also try www.percysflys.com as well as www.flydealer.com. I've been very satisfied with both sources. Quality is excellent, and besides, both carry my favorite, the Silver Doctor.

You folks need to try one of Percy's Silver Doctors tied with the double hook ... absolutely deadly on smallmouths.

pacres

Reaction score
I bought some from Kencan a while back, and had awesome service. Very good pricing as well. They had clearance flies at 3.50 per dozen and regular flies were about 7.50 per dozen.

Reaction score
From one old-timer fly fisherman who has spend many hundreds of dollars finally finding this fishing fly resource, I post this message because I enjoyed my experience with this company.

I've been fly fishing for many years and have bought flies from numerous fly companies (if you have the time and resources, I suggest that you do the same) however I recently found what I feel to be the best fishing fly resource out there. This company is called [/B]http://www.flydealflies.com.

I have to say that the quality of their flies was far superior to any other company I have ever bought flies from; Umqua included. I have found that often times online catalog pictures do not depict the product that is delivered, hooks and hackles are substandard and not securely attached to the foundation. Not the case with Flydeal.

They stressed to me that they "pride themselves on quality", but who doesn't...right? Upon receiving my first order, I agreed; the complete package: hooks, materials and workmanship were of the highest quality standards. Their prices fall in around $0.50 a fly. I will be buying from them from now on.

STRONG RECOMMENDATION:
Quality: 10 out of 10
Price: 9.5 out of 10
Customer Service: 9 out of 10

waterman

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to fly fishing and have not yet tied any flies, I can see a whole new obsession coming when I do get started!!

The local shops have been very helpful in my fly selection for the water around here, the flies can be a it pricy but getting a step in the right direction was worth it not knowing where to start.

Ready to branch out a little now that I have an idea of what I'm looking for. But still keep the local guys as a valued resource.

jotarp

Reaction score
the issues raised about buying flies on line are very insightful and thoughtful.however,myself being a fly tyer,fly fisherman and an exporter of flies from kenya(africa) who is still trying to get customers to sell flies to in the USA,I'm a bit more concerned with the thread about importing flies from kenya,sri lanka..etc as being detrimental to local tyers and economies in the USA.as earlier stated,are you ok with dishing out hand-outs to the developing world year in year out or embrace trade as a better option of solving the problems of perrenial poverty this end of the world? don't give a damn?you might think so.
sample this:my factory:fliesondemand which currently has 28 tyers,who inturn directly supports 230 people and the trickle effect goes on to cover a lot more people.this alone ensures my environment is safer,cleaner and promising.thanks to my American customer,the people here won't be coming to the USA to scavenge for jobs or indulge in clandestine op's due to desperation back at home.in short,the world is trully a global village and what happens in one end will one way or the other be felt across the rest of the world.the question still remains of what about the USA fly tyer and the local economy?I think that it's time the USA fly tyer teamed up with us to exploit the art and craft of fly tying to it's full potential since a lot still remains untapped and again,as it is now,it may not even be cost effective to tie flies commercially in the USA.what is needed here is transfer of skills and technology.everybody wins.