The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Everything Else Articles on casting, techniques and anything else you can think of.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  40
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 02-11-2017, 09:06 PM

allen1958 has a spectacular aura aboutallen1958 has a spectacular aura about
Default Ever have one of those days?

Woke up late, but that was ok, still had plenty of time to get where I wanted, and have five hours on this little creek I like.
Loaded up the truck, three rods (just in case) a hand full of reels, ✔,waders, ✔ fishing vest, ✔, extra flies and assortment of tackle, ✔a cooler with drinks and lunch, ✔.
One hour thirty five minutes later.....
Arive at destination take off old flyline put in trash to take home, put one new line. Tackle up..............
I didn't bring my boots............ Again!!!
Expletive, expletive..........EXPLETIVE!!!!
Ok, it's a small creek, I'll just keep to the bank and fish where I can between the trees and bushes. The water is crystal clear so try and get to some riffles and some pockets. Well wasn't having any luck at catching anything but the occasional tree, oh well. Anyway I was walking up the road and this guy and his daughter drive up and stop, he asked how I'm doing, I explain, he offers me a pair of his own boots, says I can mail them back to him. He was from Kentucky, we are in South Carolina. Really nice guy, just blew me away with his kindness. Well I couldn't take him up on his offer however well intentioned he was. He was trying to find his friends and not having any luck. Teaching his daughter to fly fish (beautiful girl).
I think his name was David, I hope he found his friends.
So I thought I would try some more walked down a bank and along a downd tree. No luck, so walked back along the tree to get back and fell! My right leg went up to my knee in mud, thought I was going to lose one of my new sneakers, luckily it came out with my foot.
So before you think I got upset, I didn't. My new free replacement cheap maxcatch flyline actually floated ( thank you Amazon.) the meeting with the guy and his daughter was heart warming.
Shout out to David, (I think) from Kentucky. 😉
I will be writing on my cooler, REMEMBER YOUR BOOTS!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 8 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 03-12-2017, 01:32 PM

bigcoho is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ever have one of those days?

Had one of those days 5 days straight last week. A first for me. But is wasnt fishing.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes allen1958, terrymac, Ard liked this post
Old 03-17-2017, 11:54 AM

rfb700 is a splendid one to beholdrfb700 is a splendid one to beholdrfb700 is a splendid one to beholdrfb700 is a splendid one to beholdrfb700 is a splendid one to beholdrfb700 is a splendid one to behold

I've forgotten just about every piece of fly gear I own at one time or another over the years. Last time I forgot my boots was on a Georgian Bay Trib off of Lake Huron. I just said screw it, left my jeans and Keen shoes on and went wet wading. I naturally fell a couple of times and was quite wet when I got back in my car so I stripped down for the ride home. T shirt and briefs was it. No shoes, no socks, no pants. Would have been interesting being pulled over by the cops.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 5 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney, allen1958, dennyk, fredaevans, Ard liked this post
Old 03-17-2017, 12:07 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing, that was heart warming to hear that David would offer a total stranger a pair of wading boots!

I've been there before, left behind my landing net, boots, flies, etc. For this last fly fishing trip over to the Grey Reef near Casper, WY I had been working on a fly box, tying flies for that particular river and guess what, when I got there and was rigging up, sure enough I had left that fly box on my tying table. Argh!

Likes allen1958, dennyk, Ard liked this post
Old 03-17-2017, 12:20 PM
Ever have one of those days?

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've forgotten my reel.... 2 days in a row

I'm not sure how that's even possible
Likes ia_trouter, allen1958, dennyk, Ard, k_e_v liked this post
Old 03-18-2017, 01:56 PM

JoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant future

I used to take new anglers/hunters out all the time. Arranged the trip so I could take two of everything, but not have to carry it. We just made sure the parents knew the kids have to have proper footwear-It's just too hard to keep extras in kid sizes.
I learned to make lists. Then, each new trip-new list made from the old lists. Then add specifics for the day food etc.
Then, especially for camping, a list of all the storage containers that go into the truck.
Since I joined the FFing Meet-up, I've seen members become very good at getting a days' gear into three containers. Usually, a rod caddy, a storage container, and a small cooler for lunch. Because we carpool, and they'd rather ride than drive. And they know that I ALWAYS drive...because I can't get all the **** I carry into 3 containers!!

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

Last edited by JoJer; 03-24-2017 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Sp.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes allen1958, mcnerney, dennyk, Ard liked this post
Old 03-25-2017, 12:33 PM

Bigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

For those just starting out...I don't recommend packing the morning of.......
Start days in advance.....
Make a pile.....
Then, pack it the night before.
One flip-top box will do...in addition to rod case and cooler.
Then....leave it packed.
In my world....The guys who pack the morning of the trip, get dropped from the fish team 6 call rotation.......
I once forgot my waders...(had my boots) so I wet waded in winter....
Haven't forgotten waders since.......
I still sometimes forget the last minute flies next to the vice though....

Jim
Likes mcnerney, dennyk, Ard liked this post
Old 03-25-2017, 01:16 PM

dennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant futuredennyk has a brilliant future

allen1958, David is a fine example of a southern man's hospitality.

Just goes to show you that the good in this world far outweighs the bad.

Thanks for sharing!

Denny
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes allen1958, Ard liked this post
Old 03-25-2017, 05:45 PM

allen1958 has a spectacular aura aboutallen1958 has a spectacular aura about

No kidding! I kind of wish I had done it now, just to be able to get in contact with him again, and find out how things went. Oh well.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Ard liked this post
Old 05-01-2017, 05:45 PM

msl819 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb700 View Post
I've forgotten just about every piece of fly gear I own at one time or another over the years. Last time I forgot my boots was on a Georgian Bay Trib off of Lake Huron. I just said screw it, left my jeans and Keen shoes on and went wet wading. I naturally fell a couple of times and was quite wet when I got back in my car so I stripped down for the ride home. T shirt and briefs was it. No shoes, no socks, no pants. Would have been interesting being pulled over by the cops.
Those last two lines sound like the making of a country music song!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Ard, rfb700 liked this post