Losing studs on my boots.

brownbass

Reaction score
I am losing the studs out of the souls of my boots. They are originally used for motorcycle ice racing I believe. They were given to me by a friend when I started fly fishing again. I fish on streams where the bottom is primarily bedrock, to gravel, to softball size rocks.
I guess that the foot rotation while walking is pulling them out. What is the proper way to install these so they stop pulling out and can I replace them in previously used holes? What do you fellas with more experience than I do to handle this problem?

Thanks,
Bill

don_p

Reaction score
At the start of this season I installed mine with a drop of Gorilla Glue impact formula super glue. Haven't lost one yet.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
In the existing holes I'd try either the glue Don posted above or ............... After I was sure they were clean & dry I'd mix a small batch of JB Weld Marine and fill the empty screw hole best I could, then as it began to set drive the screw in but don't take it too far.

I've been using the Simms Star Cleat ever since I got my first pair of their boots. After 4 pair I have learned that when installing the screws the first time you must have a deft touch. Do not drive them past the point of solid contact, if you do the threads will begin to pull rubber (strip) upward and in this case the stud - screw - cleat, whatever it is will already be on the way to coming loose.

I've used Cold Cutters, Grip Studs, Simms Hard Bite Screws and the Star Cleats in both hard bite and regular aluminum. The business of not over tightening the screws (or the Grip Stud auger thread) holds true for all of them. Tight is good, one extra turn to be sure is usually a mistake.

Reactions: dld

brownbass

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Went and bought the super glue and installed some studs and went fishing on two different creeks/streams. One with mostly gravel and some bedrock. the other with all three bottoms but primarily large chunk rock. Lost one of the studs that I had re-installed into a hole that had been stripped when I had reinstalled the stud. I plan on getting the JB weld and giving that a try.

Thanks again,
Bill

don_p

Reaction score
Make sure they're good and dry before you do. Ard was right on with his advice, once the holes are stripped there's not very much holding the stud in. Re-orienting the stud locations might be your only other option.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Make sure they're good and dry before you do. Ard was right on with his advice, once the holes are stripped there's not very much holding the stud in. Re-orienting the stud locations might be your only other option.
It's not the 'only option,' it is THE OPTION. New stud(s) in an old 'hole' is a 'no go,' that's why the other one fell out (just my .02 cent opin). As to 'glue' I'm a total believer in 'Barge Cement,' just follow the directions! NO CHEATING!!!:exercise:

Start with a tiny drill bit for a 'Pilot Hole,' blob of BC, in she goes, glue sets and that darned thing is NOT going to come out.

fae

brownbass

Reaction score
It's not the 'only option,' it is THE OPTION. New stud(s) in an old 'hole' is a 'no go,' that's why the other one fell out (just my .02 cent opin). As to 'glue' I'm a total believer in 'Barge Cement,' just follow the directions! NO CHEATING!!!:exercise:

Start with a tiny drill bit for a 'Pilot Hole,' blob of BC, in she goes, glue sets and that darned thing is NOT going to come out.

fae
I think I knew that using the striped out hole was useless but what the heck. Only one came out (so far). I don't think I have heard of Barge Cement. Is that available in stores or do you need to know a bargeman.

Bill

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I think I knew that using the striped out hole was useless but what the heck. Only one came out (so far). I don't think I have heard of Barge Cement. Is that available in stores or do you need to know a bargeman.

Bill
Bill, BC is a very common produt, even the guys in the UK can purchase same. Only RULE ONE is the felt/boot bottom has to be wet/NOT SLOPPY WET, just wet, to 'activate' the glue. :popcorn:

fae

blopez50

Reaction score
I got so tired of dealing with this that I ended up giving RockTreads a try.
They’re more involved to install and you have to drill into your boot… but I’m 2 seasons in and have yet to have an issue with them and love the way the perform underwater.
They look a bit wacky but I have no plans to change.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
After losing some cleats I bolted aluminum plates to my boots by drilling right through the soles and using T-nuts, with some Loctite for good measure. They aren't going anywhere.

JoJer

Reaction score
I've been using screws for years. When they wear out, I've been replacing them with the next larger size. I don't think I've ever lost one. I probably fish a lot less than most of the posters here though, so my experience may differ.

Last edited:

Oregonipa

Reaction score
Gorilla glue hasn't worked at all for me. Standard practice for me now is about every other trip, I brush my star cleat screws with a wire brush and tighten up any loose ones. Since I've been doing this, I haven't lost any. It adds about five minutes to my trip prep though.