Waist pack and landing nets

think trout

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to carry a landing net with a Waterdance waist pack. I have a long handle rubber bag net to use with my 10 ft rod.

wthorpe

Reaction score
I normally fish with both a wading belt and a waist pack on, and after trying a lot of ways to afix a net to other gear, i have mostly resorted to sticking the handle in the belt(s). I almost always use a short handle net, which makes doing that possibly easier, but i see folks carrying very long handle nets with the long handle thru the belt quite a lot. I guess it does not look so great ... but it works. For me, i have never quite mastered hooking and unhooking a net from whatever i might hook it to on my waders, shirt, jacket or whatever, so the handle thru the belt approach works pretty well.

mtboiler

Reaction score
I use a magnetic net keeper and a small carabiner. I carabiner the net to the waist pack when I am hiking or walking a long distance. Then, (mine is a short handled net) when i fish, I use the magnet. Holds very well and allows me to not worry about my net falling off and getting lost.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I use a magnetic net keeper and a small carabiner. I carabiner the net to the waist pack when I am hiking or walking a long distance. Then, (mine is a short handled net) when i fish, I use the magnet. Holds very well and allows me to not worry about my net falling off and getting lost.
Noticed your blog spot in signiture line; FUN READ and bookmarked.

fae

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
My system I use whether off the back of a vest, or hanging off a sling pack. Essentially it is nothing more than a doubled elastic cord perhaps 4'/2' long, with an odd clip I found years ago. What I do is slip the cord through a loop or over a strap, run the net back through it which then allows it to hang 2' away from that point. When not using it, I clip the clasp to a ring on the vest or pack, or to the cord loop itself. When I am using it the cord stretches to my arm's length and more (roughly 5').

B.E.F.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Since I don't know how long a net we're talking about I have to fly blind, that doesn't bother me because all I can do is to say what I do myself. I always wear waders so I have a wader belt, I also use a Nomad / Fishpond Boat Net with a total length of 4 feet. The advantage I have is that I'm 6'5" tall even though my doctor says I shrank an inch due to age and gravity.............. I still feel six five so I slip the handle in the back of my wader belt. Now this isn't the way you want to take a long hike I can assure you but if you are tall it'll do. I only do this when fishing with people who have paid to have a guide and a guide should be able to net your fish so you can touch it and get a photo, so I carry it then. The rest of the time when alone I leave it in my boat and if I catch a dandy I just work my way back to the boat with fish in tow.

I have short handle nets but the hoops are too small for the dandy and a long handle net with a big hoop can be a hassle to carry with so what do you do? In my case I bring a fish in to shallow water and remove the hook via forceps and they swim away. Many times this means no picture of a fish but it solves the problem. If you decide to fish without a net and hook the dandy then you need to find some nice quiet water to nurse it into and let it calm down before attempting a photo or removing the hook.

This was done without the aid of a net.

I think sometimes the dandy is easier to handle than a ten inch fish that goes ballistic while you try to retrieve your fly but the point of the picture was to say that I did not have a net with me on that trip. There were two of us so I was able to get a decent photo taken before it slipped away.

When you are alone with no net sometimes you settle for this.........

One hand on fish one hand on camera, not perfect but recorded the fish with no harm done. I hope you figure out how to carry your net, there's nothing worse than owning 2 long handle nets like I do and realizing that they are a PITA to carry unless you are guiding and not toting a rod. I have the Guide model too but discovered that a 2 foot trout or silver salmon didn't fit very well so I then got the boat net............ Duh

90% of the time I fish without if I'm on foot.

lake flyer

Reaction score
I normally fish with both a wading belt and a waist pack on, and after trying a lot of ways to afix a net to other gear, i have mostly resorted to sticking the handle in the belt(s). I almost always use a short handle net, which makes doing that possibly easier, but i see folks carrying very long handle nets with the long handle thru the belt quite a lot. I guess it does not look so great ... but it works. For me, i have never quite mastered hooking and unhooking a net from whatever i might hook it to on my waders, shirt, jacket or whatever, so the handle thru the belt approach works pretty well.
Yep, me too.

jonbo

Reaction score
I think another fisherman posted about what I'm going to suggest, but here goes. Get a net magnet. They're really strong. They cost about $15. It's in 2 pieces. the two magnets grab each other. One magnet with clip clips to a loop on your belt where It's okay with you to have the net hang. The other piece has a key ring. If not, put one on it. This one you attach to the net at the point where the net meets the handle. Now when you want to hang the net to the magnet I assume is usually behind you, you, with some practice, hold it back there till the magnets grab each other. Now the net part will hang from your waist downward while the handle sticks upward from your waist. Your net should also come with a decently long elastic lanyard. the end to this should clip to a loop more or less next to where your pack magnet dangles. Occasionally your net's magnet will pull loose from the pack's magnet. The lanyard keeps you from losing your net when that happens. The magnetic system, I think, was made for hanging a net on the back of a vest, but it adapts quite nicely to a fanny pack (as long as said fanny pack has belt loops in convenient spots as mine did, I suppose.)

just4grins

Reaction score
I have the Fishpond El Jefe net here's my setup: wading belt, Gear Keeper with 2" clip on the
gear keeper (42" reach) attached to wading belt with a black wire tie (175lb) attached to the snap clip of the Gear Keeper ring just above the handle where the net starts, to the net frame only and trim the wire tie close. The net stays on my left side along side the back of my left leg. When fighting a fish, i disengage the lock on the side and push the net out toward the fish leading it into the net. Bingo smooth as silk, doesn't interfere with walking or anything, and the net can't float away.

el jefe

Reaction score
I have the Fishpond El Jefe net here's my setup: wading belt, Gear Keeper with 2" clip on the
gear keeper (42" reach) attached to wading belt with a black wire tie (175lb) attached to the snap clip of the Gear Keeper ring just above the handle where the net starts, to the net frame only and trim the wire tie close. The net stays on my left side along side the back of my left leg. When fighting a fish, i disengage the lock on the side and push the net out toward the fish leading it into the net. Bingo smooth as silk, doesn't interfere with walking or anything, and the net can't float away.
I should've gotten that net...;)

Rivercityjeff

Reaction score
Same old problem, new solution.

West Bank Wading Belt

Just bought the Fishpond Westbank Wading belt. Why? 'Cause it has lumbar support, keeps my waders were they are supposed to be AND it has a place for my net. Genius!

Field testing in 11 days on the San Juan.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Cool but the thread was about a net holder to wear with a specific style of waist pack.

For about six bucks and with the aid of some basic sewing skills you can make a net holder that was designed for fanny / waist pack wearers that will attach to waders, wading pants, flats pants, jeans, shorts, etc. and it won't try to mate with you if you want to sit down.

Field tested for over a decade, all over the place, including the Juan.

This waist pack as with many today, has a lumbar support.

Dave