The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Everything Else Articles on casting, techniques and anything else you can think of.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 07-16-2017, 06:49 PM

think trout is a jewel in the roughthink trout is a jewel in the roughthink trout is a jewel in the roughthink trout is a jewel in the rough
Default Waist pack and landing nets

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to carry a landing net with a Waterdance waist pack. I have a long handle rubber bag net to use with my 10 ft rod.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:57 PM

wthorpe is a splendid one to beholdwthorpe is a splendid one to beholdwthorpe is a splendid one to beholdwthorpe is a splendid one to beholdwthorpe is a splendid one to beholdwthorpe is a splendid one to beholdwthorpe is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Waist pack and landing nets

I normally fish with both a wading belt and a waist pack on, and after trying a lot of ways to afix a net to other gear, i have mostly resorted to sticking the handle in the belt(s). I almost always use a short handle net, which makes doing that possibly easier, but i see folks carrying very long handle nets with the long handle thru the belt quite a lot. I guess it does not look so great ... but it works. For me, i have never quite mastered hooking and unhooking a net from whatever i might hook it to on my waders, shirt, jacket or whatever, so the handle thru the belt approach works pretty well.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes JoJer, mcnerney, myt1 liked this post
Old 07-17-2017, 12:45 AM

JoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant future

As above-me too.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 07-17-2017, 12:52 AM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard

How long of a handle?

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors
Old 07-17-2017, 08:24 AM

mtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nice

I use a magnetic net keeper and a small carabiner. I carabiner the net to the waist pack when I am hiking or walking a long distance. Then, (mine is a short handled net) when i fish, I use the magnet. Holds very well and allows me to not worry about my net falling off and getting lost.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:56 AM
Waist pack and landing nets

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Waist pack and landing nets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtboiler View Post
I use a magnetic net keeper and a small carabiner. I carabiner the net to the waist pack when I am hiking or walking a long distance. Then, (mine is a short handled net) when i fish, I use the magnet. Holds very well and allows me to not worry about my net falling off and getting lost.
Noticed your blog spot in signiture line; FUN READ and bookmarked.

fae
Old 07-17-2017, 11:58 AM

GrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeGrtLksMarlin has a reputation beyond repute

My system I use whether off the back of a vest, or hanging off a sling pack. Essentially it is nothing more than a doubled elastic cord perhaps 4'/2' long, with an odd clip I found years ago. What I do is slip the cord through a loop or over a strap, run the net back through it which then allows it to hang 2' away from that point. When not using it, I clip the clasp to a ring on the vest or pack, or to the cord loop itself. When I am using it the cord stretches to my arm's length and more (roughly 5').

Click the image to open in full size.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard

Since I don't know how long a net we're talking about I have to fly blind, that doesn't bother me because all I can do is to say what I do myself. I always wear waders so I have a wader belt, I also use a Nomad / Fishpond Boat Net with a total length of 4 feet. The advantage I have is that I'm 6'5" tall even though my doctor says I shrank an inch due to age and gravity.............. I still feel six five so I slip the handle in the back of my wader belt. Now this isn't the way you want to take a long hike I can assure you but if you are tall it'll do. I only do this when fishing with people who have paid to have a guide and a guide should be able to net your fish so you can touch it and get a photo, so I carry it then. The rest of the time when alone I leave it in my boat and if I catch a dandy I just work my way back to the boat with fish in tow.

I have short handle nets but the hoops are too small for the dandy and a long handle net with a big hoop can be a hassle to carry with so what do you do? In my case I bring a fish in to shallow water and remove the hook via forceps and they swim away. Many times this means no picture of a fish but it solves the problem. If you decide to fish without a net and hook the dandy then you need to find some nice quiet water to nurse it into and let it calm down before attempting a photo or removing the hook.

This was done without the aid of a net.

I think sometimes the dandy is easier to handle than a ten inch fish that goes ballistic while you try to retrieve your fly but the point of the picture was to say that I did not have a net with me on that trip. There were two of us so I was able to get a decent photo taken before it slipped away.

When you are alone with no net sometimes you settle for this.........

One hand on fish one hand on camera, not perfect but recorded the fish with no harm done. I hope you figure out how to carry your net, there's nothing worse than owning 2 long handle nets like I do and realizing that they are a PITA to carry unless you are guiding and not toting a rod. I have the Guide model too but discovered that a 2 foot trout or silver salmon didn't fit very well so I then got the boat net............ Duh

90% of the time I fish without if I'm on foot.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes GrtLksMarlin liked this post
Old 07-17-2017, 04:15 PM

lake flyer is a splendid one to beholdlake flyer is a splendid one to beholdlake flyer is a splendid one to beholdlake flyer is a splendid one to beholdlake flyer is a splendid one to beholdlake flyer is a splendid one to beholdlake flyer is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthorpe View Post
I normally fish with both a wading belt and a waist pack on, and after trying a lot of ways to afix a net to other gear, i have mostly resorted to sticking the handle in the belt(s). I almost always use a short handle net, which makes doing that possibly easier, but i see folks carrying very long handle nets with the long handle thru the belt quite a lot. I guess it does not look so great ... but it works. For me, i have never quite mastered hooking and unhooking a net from whatever i might hook it to on my waders, shirt, jacket or whatever, so the handle thru the belt approach works pretty well.
Yep, me too.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:13 PM

mtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Noticed your blog spot in signiture line; FUN READ and bookmarked.

fae
Thanks Fred...trying to keep it up but need more time in my day!!