What in your fly fishing pack?

jayr

Reaction score
Since I fish mostly bluelines back in the more remote sections, I carry a lifestraw in case I run out of water. I also carry a couple of Cliff bars in the event I get hung up back in there.

I also carry at least 2-3 knives. A sheath knife with built in fire starter (Morakniv) and a folding lock blade.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I always carry folding scissors and usually fly tying scissors as well. I often trim, alter, change or massacre my fly to suit conditions. For instance a high floating dry fly can become a cripple or an emerger or even a spent wing spinner with a bit of surgery (butchery?).

Some patterns I tie with full dressing and trailing shuck knowing that the fly is likely to be changed before it hits the water.

Don

dennyk

Reaction score
Thanks for the entertaining video!-Pretty much ditto except for a thermometer, digital camera, hand drying towel, hand warmers, fleece fingerless gloves and a Leatherman Skelton tool.

Can't forget a couple good cigars.

Denny

tcorfey

Reaction score
Carry in pack or on belt when fishing. One to Three fly boxes, a knife, some TP, small first aid kit, a small bottle of insect spray, a wading staff, hemostats with built-in scissors, a garbage bag (can double as a poncho), headlamp, a small flask (for medicinal and spiritual purposes), a lifestraw water bottle so I don't carry water unless I am hiking away from the stream, snacks, an amaduo patch, tungsten putty, additional leaders (nylon/furled), indicators (4 plastic/some wool, nippers, floatant, camera/phone, Thermometer, tippet in 2X,4X,5X,6X plus an extra spool of 5X in the pack.

Unless I am going minimalist then it is no pack. In my pocket: One fly box, a knife, an energy Bar, 1 additional leader, camera/phone, tungsten putty. On my belt: a lifestraw water bottle. On my lanyard: hemostats with built-in scissors, an amaduo patch, one or two indicators, nippers, floatant, tippet in 2X,4X,5X,6X.

Regards,

Tim C.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Nice video.

Like the William and Joseph bag. Those magnetic closures are a great idea.

Also found it interesting that neither had a spool of 3x tippet . . . wonder why?

Can't believe they're not carrying any way to keep warm; no space blanket, no lighter to start a fire, no battery and steel wool kit, nothing. Seriously, ask yourself a question: is it easier to flick your Bic or dink around with your ferrosteel rod?

Also, no one but me and my buddies carry a bit of duck tape?

Well, to each their own I guess. 3 fly boxes. Unless I'm at the Ferry, then it's one.

TWO bic lighters. One is always brand new. Mama didn't raise no idjits . . .

A small baggie with half a dozen petroleum jelly-soaked cotton balls, two packets of honey, and a ping pong ball-size wad of fine steel wool.

10 feet of duck tape wrapped around a three inch piece of bamboo chop stick.

One space blanket that can double as a poncho or a small shelter.

I also carry two knives, one with a gut hook; no faster way to get yourself free of a tangle of someone else's line around your ankles.

4 zip ties; you never know if you might need to bind a couple things together or attach something that used to be attached to your bag/pack.

A microfiber small hand towel.

One lunch size bag of Fritos; it's a decent snack, and can be used to start a fire.

Headlamp; 'nuff said.

One spare set of batts for the headlamp or to ignite the steel wool.

Think that's about it aside from the other essentials like hemos and such.

Oh, and the gun.

Peace.

Last edited:

trout stalker

Reaction score
Carry in pack or on belt when fishing. One to Three fly boxes, a knife, some TP, small first aid kit, a small bottle of insect spray, a wading staff, hemostats with built-in scissors, a garbage bag (can double as a poncho), headlamp, a small flask (for medicinal and spiritual purposes), a lifestraw water bottle so I don't carry water unless I am hiking away from the stream, snacks, an amaduo patch, tungsten putty, additional leaders (nylon/furled), indicators (4 plastic/some wool, nippers, floatant, camera/phone, Thermometer, tippet in 2X,4X,5X,6X plus an extra spool of 5X in the pack.
Mine is almost a mirror image of yours. Depends how far I wonder away from the vehicle.

Redrock

Reaction score
Jeez, I need to up my game. All I carry is fishing stuff. From my long distance running days, I learned a sock works just fine.

Kidding aside, thanks to all for the great ideas.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
For the fishing itself, pretty much the same kind of stuff as everyone else: Leader and tippet appropriate to the conditions, nippers, line straightener, floatant, sinkant, strike indicators, Hemostat, fly boxes, net, wading staff, sunglasses and lens cleaner.

For being in the back o' beyond: First aid kit (including trauma stuff), leatherman, hip flask, snack, cigars and zippo, sunblock, chapstick, bug dope, insect head net, small thermos for coffee or water, binoculars, camera, toilet paper, small flashlight, backtrack gps, bic lighter, packable raincoat (If I'm not wearing a wading jacket to begin with), superglue (mini), duct tape wrapped around sharpie in first aid kit, one long boot lace.

Beyond having what I need for fishing, I try to be reasonably prepared for the minor discomforts that commonly happen in the bush, for life threatening trauma, and for the possibility that I might have to spend a night out if things go really wrong.

This thread has made me consider getting a life straw

Last edited:

huronfly

Reaction score
Damn I've been using leaves this whole time... or use a sacrificial sock if things are messy :D

I am pretty minimalistic when I fish, a few spools of tippet, 2 fly boxes, gink, extra leader or two, knife, lifestraw, flask, sometimes a headlamp, and some other medicinal herbs that are now legal in Canada. :cool:

JDR

Reaction score
No snake bite kit?
A lot of medics with outdoor training discourage the use of a snake bite kit - especially the cut and suck type. Turns out people usually do a lot of extra damage when the try to cut in non-sterile conditions, or they cut too deeply. Worse, the "sucker" swallows the poison.
Here is a link that explains this further with suggestions for treating a snake bite in the wilderness.

Survival Myth: You Should Suck Poison from a Snake Bite | PreppingToSurvive.com

ra2bach

Reaction score
Jeez, I need to up my game. All I carry is fishing stuff. From my long distance running days, I learned a sock works just fine.

Kidding aside, thanks to all for the great ideas.
I thought that's why runners started cutting the bottom of their t-shirts off - first necessity then fashion...