Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  29
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What in your fly fishing pack?

Jeez, I need to up my game. All I carry is fishing stuff. From my long distance running days, I learned a sock works just fine.

Kidding aside, thanks to all for the great ideas.

2. Likes GoodBuddyFlyFishing liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    No snake bite kit?
    As many snakes as Iíve seen in the mountains I should probably consider that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the fishing itself, pretty much the same kind of stuff as everyone else: Leader and tippet appropriate to the conditions, nippers, line straightener, floatant, sinkant, strike indicators, Hemostat, fly boxes, net, wading staff, sunglasses and lens cleaner.

For being in the back o' beyond: First aid kit (including trauma stuff), leatherman, hip flask, snack, cigars and zippo, sunblock, chapstick, bug dope, insect head net, small thermos for coffee or water, binoculars, camera, toilet paper, small flashlight, backtrack gps, bic lighter, packable raincoat (If I'm not wearing a wading jacket to begin with), superglue (mini), duct tape wrapped around sharpie in first aid kit, one long boot lace.

Beyond having what I need for fishing, I try to be reasonably prepared for the minor discomforts that commonly happen in the bush, for life threatening trauma, and for the possibility that I might have to spend a night out if things go really wrong.

This thread has made me consider getting a life straw
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 01-22-2019 at 02:52 PM. Reason: add "not"

5. Thanks huronfly thanked for this post

Damn I've been using leaves this whole time... or use a sacrificial sock if things are messy

I am pretty minimalistic when I fish, a few spools of tippet, 2 fly boxes, gink, extra leader or two, knife, lifestraw, flask, sometimes a headlamp, and some other medicinal herbs that are now legal in Canada.
    Danny

7. Likes GoodBuddyFlyFishing, ggriffi, rfb700 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    No snake bite kit?
    A lot of medics with outdoor training discourage the use of a snake bite kit - especially the cut and suck type. Turns out people usually do a lot of extra damage when the try to cut in non-sterile conditions, or they cut too deeply. Worse, the "sucker" swallows the poison.
    Here is a link that explains this further with suggestions for treating a snake bite in the wilderness.

Survival Myth: You Should Suck Poison from a Snake Bite | PreppingToSurvive.com

9. Likes dillon liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Redrock View Post
    Jeez, I need to up my game. All I carry is fishing stuff. From my long distance running days, I learned a sock works just fine.

Kidding aside, thanks to all for the great ideas.
    I thought that's why runners started cutting the bottom of their t-shirts off - first necessity then fashion...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12