Cabelas CGR Fiberglass Rods

fictitious

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has tried one of these out yet. I am looking at the 6'2" 2wt for fishing small streams in the Uintas. It's in my price range and would love to try some glass.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Had a few but ended up selling them on. Not a knock on the rod, I just didnt fish enough to warrant keeping them.

They have an almost cult following in fiberglass circles because of the quality and value of the rods. So much so that Cabelas reintroduced them after a failed attempt at upgrading the black to the CGT - this is now discontinued and the new CGRs are appointed slightly different that the Original CGRs. The 2wt is a new addition to the line up.

jjack

Reaction score
I bought the 5-9 3wt -

I didn't care for the shake test in the store, but when I put line on it I was zipping it right out there, and I'm a mediocre caster.

Will have more info after this weekend.

itchmesir

Reaction score
Yes I have the 6'2 2wt. Works great as a true two imo. I use a h&h dt2f on mine. You need a really light reel if you're worried at all about balance. I can lay out 30' casts with ease. Roll casts like a dream too.

itchmesir

Reaction score
What size streamers? There's the 7/8 which will definitely throw some meaty flies... The 5/6 will also huck some smaller streamers... #6-10

brk trt

Reaction score
I have the 5ft 9 inch 3wt and have fished it a few times. I have no issues with it. I primarily fish small streams and it fits in perfectly. I have tried wet flies, dries and small streamers, size 10 M. Finn types.

I purchased a TFO BVK O reel and it balances beautifully with this rod. I currently have a Orvis WF 3 floating line but will experiment with others.

Brk Trt

ross91690

Reaction score
I fish both the 6'2 weight and the 7'6 5/6 weight.

The 5/6 weight has had the same fly on it since I bought it....a size 6 cone head zonker strip sculpin. It makes a great small streamer stick.

The 6'2 2 weight is far more versatile than one might think, too! I flick popping bugs and small nymphs on mine all the time.

Both are SMOOOOOOTH casters that flex right down into the cork with a fish on. I can't put them down. Considering selling off some more graphite to get the 7/8 weight, too!

brk trt

Reaction score
If anyone has any doubts about this rod believe they should be swept aside. I have used this rod exclusively now for several months. I have fished it in various streams with lots of challenges as far as fish and vegetation. The rod has tackled them all and has done it beyond expectation. I have now fished dries, wets, and streamers and the rod preformed well. The fish have been wild trout, browns and brook trout, as well as river herring. The action of the rod was so that it absorbed the initial shock of the strike, which was substantial with the salt water fish. I would highly recommend this rod.

Brk Trt

repperson29

Reaction score
Definitely on my wish list for birthday/Christmas ideas. I could use a short rod for some of the streams I want to venture out on.

sagewind

Reaction score
I stopped into my local Cabela's (Thornton, Colorado) and all Cabela's fly rods were 40% off. The 4/5 wt. CGR came home with me for $77.99, before tax. I had a $50 gift certificate- I really like $35 fly rods, especially this one! I will fish it tomorrow.

itchmesir

Reaction score
The CGt was faster than the CGR. The CGR set a great standard in Cabelas fiberglass offerings having that classic slow full flexing feel. When the CGt was released expectations were high and a lot of people were disappointed by the faster action of the CGt. Personally I like mine. Aesthetically it's stunning with a translucent orange blank. More of mod-fast action.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
A half dozen or so CGt's, new in tubes, were donated to me for our PHWFF program. They range from #2 to 6 I think. They are good looking in their pale glass way with not bad cork and reels seats. I will bring them to Somerset next Jan. to offer for donations at our booth...what price point should I set for them?