Today! Cabelas Prime 50% off

isaiah20

Reaction score
I have been waiting for them to go on sale for a while now. Ordered the 5wt!

itchmesir

Reaction score
They're still on sale.

I ended up buying the 6' 3wt. Can't wait for it to arrive. $160 for a 1pc fiberglass rod is a really good deal. Especially with the great reviews they get on the FFR... At $80 it's basically a steal.

ts47

Reaction score
I bought the 4 and 5 wt versions. Nice workmanship and a good looking blank! Great deal too at 50% off ($80)!!

I fished the Prime 4wt and a CT 7'6" 3wt this morning - went out with my son. Both of us got to cast both rods including a fair amount of roll casting in one particular hole. I'd easily take the Prime 4wt over a CT any day of the week. And... I like my CTs! The Prime was smooth, had plenty of backbone, loaded easily and communicated well.

If anyone is looking for a real nice small water rod, the Prime has a very, very good cost to benefit ratio! You just need to be able to carry a one piece rod. I highly recommend it. :thumbsupu

pab1

Reaction score
I just ordered two before the sale ends. I ordered a 6' 3wt and a 6'4" 4wt. These will be my first glass rods. I like moderate action rods that you can feel load on the backcast and feel the fight better. From what I've read I think I'll enjoy these!

caberguy

Reaction score
I'm thinking about picking one of these up. Those of you that are fishing them, how are lining them, true to rating, up, down?

isaiah20

Reaction score
Only lawn cast the 5wt but I like a 5 GPX on it or a Rio carp 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itchmesir

Reaction score
I'm thinking about picking one of these up. Those of you that are fishing them, how are lining them, true to rating, up, down?
I have the 6' 3wt and I use an airflo xceed. Which is a 1/2wt heavy line. But I'm sure a true 3wt line would be just fine. The airflo is the only line I've got though.

caberguy

Reaction score
Yeah, that 8wt just popped up today.

I just ordered the 3wt, figuring... well, I don't have a 3wt. I have a 2wt Redington CT, 3 4wts and 2 5wts, also 3 reels rigged with 4wt lines. And since it seems that glass rods can handle a range of line weights, and I'll generally be casting less than 15'-20', that it might work out just fine. We'll see. Among other things, those jade looking blanks were just beckoning to me.

pab1

Reaction score
The rods I ordered just arrived. As soon as I unpacked them I checked their action and instantly had an ear to ear grin. This is what a fly rods action should be like IMO! I can't wait to fish with these! As an added bonus they were shipped in a heavy duty cardboard tube with plastic end caps which will work fine for a rod tube.

teledan

Reaction score
These are on sale right now for $64! I am seriously tempted to pick up one of the 4wt rods but can't decide which length I would get. Anyone have experience with both length 4wts? I have a 3wt CGR and I love it but would like to get something slightly longer with a bit more backbone. I also have a Scott 6wt but would like something in between that and my 3wt CGR.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Don't think. Just do it. These rods are amazing. Love my 3wt. At $65 these rods are a steal.
Not sure I would ever buy an expensive Cabelas branded rod but not much risk at $65 for a rod that gets great reviews all over the net. I know the warranty is weak but most rod companies hit you $50 or so for warranty coverage anyway. I like the fact you can cast it awhile and send it back no questions asked. I've taken them up on that offer several times without issue.

itchmesir

Reaction score
Well now you can get 10% off + Free Shipping on items in the bargain cave... I couldn't hold off any more... Added the 5wt Prime

teledan

Reaction score
I caved too and got the 7'1" 4wt. I went in the store with my dad because he was getting some things and I couldn't resist. I'm excited to see how it casts!

itchmesir

Reaction score
I got the chance to take out the 5 Thursday for a little bit. Lined with a wf5f Supra. I'd read that a lot of people enjoy this rod with a 6wt line... Mainly for warmwater... but it performed flawlessly with a 5. Felt very crisp and responsive.

On a side note I've never seen such a large tube delivered to my door before... It's kinda ridiculous getting an almost 8' tube... I'm sure the UPS guys really love hauling these things to people's doors as well