Fenwick FF856 AFTMA Rod Info

flybri2

Reaction score
Hi
My brother just found a Fenwick FF857 AFTMA rod with my name on it at my parents house. I've never fished with glass so I'm looking for some information on this rod. Can someone tell me what line(s) should work best with this type of rod? Also would love to hear would love to hear what reels you think would work best, and your opinions on how the rod casts and fishes.
Thanks for any info.
Brian

Last edited:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Is it a FF856 or a 857 ? You referenced both

Out of the 5 Fenwicks that I have, the 857 is my least favorite.
Recently on another board, those that also had one, agreed.
I don't own a 856 but in that same discussion, views of the 856 were far more favorable.

For lines, you want something supple like a Cortland 333, a 444 "peach", or a H&H High Floater.
Modern long belly, high speed lines are not appropriate.
Some people like a double taper line which are a little heavier than your average weight forwards and mend better at a distance.
I have both.

For a reel, I like Medalists on almost all my vintage glass rods
With 6wt lines, a 1494.
For 7wt lines, a 1494 1/2 or a 1495.

flybri2

Reaction score
Thanks Rip Tide.
It's a FF856.
I was looking for info regarding line types since I have no experience with glass rods so thanks for your suggestions.
I like the Medalists and will check Ebay.
Thanks again.

standman

Reaction score
The Fenwick 856 was my first Fenwick, and it continues to be a great all-around rod for my fishing. I have it in the 2 piece and the 4 piece (856-4). I prefer the lighter 2 piece. I use the Medalist 1494 with WF line and the 1494.5 with DT line. The heavier 1495 reel better balances the 856-4.

For lines, I pretty much use those that Riptide suggests, with Cortland's 444 peach being my mainstay. Another line specifically designed for fiberglass is the 406.

markfrid

Reaction score
For lines, you want something supple like a Cortland 333, a 444 "peach", or a H&H High Floater.
Modern long belly, high speed lines are not appropriate.
Mr. Rip - Right now I'm using a SA Mastery Trout DT5 on my FF75 and a SA Mastery Steelhead Taper WF7 on my FF80. These are lines I had available and, after trying several line weights on each rod - they are the ones that cast best. And by that, I mean they really feel good on those rods to me. What would I be gaining by using a 444 Peach or similar? What kind of difference would it make to the casting/fishing? Not to doubt you - I don't have a lot of experience with different styles of lines. Thanks!

Mark

yikes

Reaction score
My friend just gave me a Fenwick FF856-5 rod and Martin 63 click reel he found in his mom's garage.
I normally fish medium to medium-fast graphite, but I'm think of taking this as a backup rod on a pack trip to the Bob Marshall.

It doesn't look like it's been fished much since it was first bought decades ago - - should I keep the same line, or would you recommend a replacement?

rockriver

Reaction score
My friend just gave me a Fenwick FF856-5 rod and Martin 63 click reel he found in his mom's garage.
I normally fish medium to medium-fast graphite, but I'm think of taking this as a backup rod on a pack trip to the Bob Marshall.

It doesn't look like it's been fished much since it was first bought decades ago - - should I keep the same line, or would you recommend a replacement?
I'd replace the line due to the age of it.

dennyk

Reaction score
Be sure you look the NEW Medalists over well if that will be your reel of choice. I had a 7/8 and was very disappointed with it. The spool had quite a bit of slop in it and anti backlash did not exist. I traded it in for a Lamson 7/8, night & day difference. The old Medalists were much better.

Denny

Stuckeysflat

Reaction score
My FF856 is my go-to rod for stripers here on the Chesapeake. I use a Pflueger 1495 1/2 with a WF 7 Intermediate line, matches up nice for balance and the 7wt casts great. It's a powerful rod, and I've handled fish up to 20 lbs on it, exciting but with no problem. I did add a fighting butt to mine, makes a big difference as far as handling the bigger fish. That rod's a keeper, fish it.

wthorpe

Reaction score
You folks on this forum never cease to amaze at all the ways you can suggest to me to spend money in new previously unimagined ways on fly fishing gear. I have fished quite happily with modern day space age graphite rods and bullet proof aluminum reels for 20 years. BUT, NO, NOW, inspired entirely by comments on this forum, i have recently become the owner of a Fenwick FF79 (en route, due to arrive Tuesday) and a Medalist 1494 1/2 (arrived Friday). Rip Tide's posts are a key source of m y misery but a number of others have contribute mightily too. Thanks a bunch! (I have not yet decided whether or not i am being facetious! Somewhere in the recesses of my aging mind, i have some kind of notion i am saving myself $$ by not messing with bamboo and Hardy reels, so there!)

Unfortunately it will be two weeks away from fishing for work before i can fish the new toys.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
, i have recently become the owner of a Fenwick FF79 (en route, due to arrive Tuesday) and a Medalist 1494 1/2 (arrived Friday). Rip Tide's posts are a key source of m y misery but a number of others have contribute mightily too. Thanks a bunch! (I have not yet decided whether or not i am being facetious! Somewhere in the recesses of my aging mind, i have some kind of notion i am saving myself $$ by not messing with bamboo and Hardy reels, so there!)
I use my FF79 more than any other rod I own, so I suspect that you may like yours as well. :D
It may not be the best rod that I have, but to me it feels "comfortable"

The FF79 on the bottom

You can see where the previous owner, absent mindedly I'm sure, had flicked at the cork grip with his thumb nail.... a lot.
When I bought the rod ($25) I had planned on fixing that.
But I've since decided that I like it that way.
That's character, not damage, and I'm sure that the original owner thought so too.

Last edited: