Glass vs Graphite

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I got caught up in the forum hype and had to order a Cabela's CGR. What a fun little rod for small water, and my least expensive. I was amazed how light it is. Glass may or may not be limited in it's capabilities going forward vs graphite, but it sure has a place in my game now.

flyminded

Reaction score
I find myself spending more time looking at and reading about glass these days than I do the new offerings from the usual suspects.

It seems to me that some of the workmanship going into some of the glass rods is bordering on art .... next up an 8wt for Reds and Bonefish.

karstopo

Reaction score
I find myself spending more time looking at and reading about glass these days than I do the new offerings from the usual suspects.

It seems to me that some of the workmanship going into some of the glass rods is bordering on art .... next up an 8wt for Reds and Bonefish.
I'm halfway looking for something in that weight range for inshore work here in Texas. I like my 7-8 Cableas CGR well enough, but maybe there is something better in fiberglass for the salt with larger stripping guides? I see Echo makes a bad a$$ glass now. Anyone have any experience with that rod?

huronfly

Reaction score
Out of 10+ rods that I own only two are glass, yet they are what I use for 90% of my fishing. Most of my fishing is either big water for steel or tiny creeks for little wild trout, so they spey and 3 weight cover those nicely, next up I'm thinking about ditching the graphite pike/musky rod for an echo bad ass glass... soon ill have to start selling my graphites that don't see the water as much:p

flyminded

Reaction score
Karstopo, I've been looking at Epic 888 Fastglass and Livingston Rod Company just announced an 8wt for the flats.

Waiting to see a comparison ...the Bad A$$ has a lot of followers also.

troutnut4

Reaction score
I was always a Sage fan. As they progressed to faster and faster action designs I became less interested in their lines and looked to glass for a different pace. I found it in a couple of glass blanks by Steffen Bros. and a favourite of mine, by Kabuto of Japan. I turned to a highly regarded and very talented builder by the name of George Minculete of Tightloops to build both. The Kabuto is a 4 wt. and the Steffens is a 4/5 wt. Top quality and a pleasure to cast. I am sold on glass for the type of fishing that I do, small streams, rivers and small flies. My RPLs and Zenith rarely see water any more.:punk:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
This is my latest glass and it's of unknown origin. No text or stickers. Custom build.
It's 9'3" and I'm assuming that it's a 10wt. although I haven't test cast it yet
Unusual stainless sleeve (over glass butt) ferrule.
Balances well with that System2 10/11
$20. :D
Looking forward to it being my new favorite

Last edited:

shifty242

Reaction score
Karstopo, I've been looking at Epic 888 Fastglass
flyminded, I own the Epic 888 and really enjoy it. The challenge with Swift is that very few shops (that I know of) carry their rods, so getting to cast one prior to purchase will be difficult provided you do not live in New Zealand. It was a leap of faith for me...and now I own the 888, the 580 and the gem of their line-up, the 686.

https://swiftflyfishing.com/
I believe they are offering a shipping deal in March...

chames15

Reaction score
flyminded, I own the Epic 888 and really enjoy it. The challenge with Swift is that very few shops (that I know of) carry their rods, so getting to cast one prior to purchase will be difficult provided you do not live in New Zealand. It was a leap of faith for me...and now I own the 888, the 580 and the gem of their line-up, the 686.

https://swiftflyfishing.com/
I believe they are offering a shipping deal in March...
Hey shifty, what are your thoughts on the 686? I have been doing quite a bit of research and was thinking about wrapping my own. My initial thought with the rod was a streamer set up for her in CO to go along with my nymph/ dry dropper rod. I also do a fair amount of bass and warm water fishing around town and figured it would be a good fit for that application as well.

- sorry to hijack the thread.

runningfish

Reaction score
flyminded, I built Epic 888 and used it for bass and reds down in Florida. I think the 888 is not just a myth or a mere good reviews. It a very good rod, so accurate for short and far cast. It generates good line speed and turns bass bugs easily. If you are building it, spline it and put the guides on the belly and use a large size tip top.
The only Epic that I have left is 686 3pcs a very good one too.....I sold the 888...I couldn't resist the offer.

I don't know about Dusty's Livingston rod, he just started his business about 1.5 years ago. But I heard good things about his rods; and Dusty will answer your questions about rod building or about his rods.

shifty242

Reaction score
Hey shifty, what are your thoughts on the 686? I have been doing quite a bit of research and was thinking about wrapping my own. My initial thought with the rod was a streamer set up for her in CO to go along with my nymph/ dry dropper rod. I also do a fair amount of bass and warm water fishing around town and figured it would be a good fit for that application as well. - sorry to hijack the thread.
I receivd it toward the end of last year and my first outing with it was last month. It handled a nymph rig easily. I'm willing to bet it will do the same with a streamer set up and a bass lures. If you visit the fiberglass flyrod forum, there are many posts on the 686 offering far more information than I can provide!

I'm going to Kauai next week and I was considering taking it for fishing on the flats, but I think the 888 will be a much better option.