Fenwick FF857

napawino

Reaction score
Picked up another nice old Fenwick. It's not a model I've owned or fished before. I wonder what reel and line should I get for it?

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I have one. Not nearly as nice
Out of all my Fenwicks, it's my least favorite but it was my father's rod so .....:eek:
I haven't broken it out in over 10 years and at that time I fished it with a 444 WF7.
After years of pondering, I'm thinking that a 6wt line might be better but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet (10 years ;))
My father's reel for the rod was a Medalist 1494 1/2 DA

napawino

Reaction score
I am getting a 1495 1/2 and some Rio Coastal Quickshooter WF7I. I'm going to attempt some beach fishing around Puget Sound.

Any idea how much backing and what weight I should use? I've never had a wide spool medalist, and want the spool to be full, but not too full that I can't the the fly line on it.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I have a pair of 1495 1/2 Medalists
As of now they hold 8wt lines but back when I used them more often in the salt they held 9wt lines
I think that you'll find one a bit large for a WF7I

You might want to test a 7wt line on that rod before you decide that's the way you want to go.
As I said earlier, in the past when I've used my FF857 with a WF7F, I thought that it was a bit too much
Try before you buy.

As for backing, the rule of thumb for Medalists is to fill to the top of the first set of perforations on the spool.
That works for me with all Medalists including the 1495 1/2 and the 1494 1/2 reels, as long as they don't hold a full sinking line, where you'd need more or DT lines where you might use less

The reel with the 444 sticker is a 1494 1/2
Third row left with the green line is a 1495 1/2

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

I should add that I used Medalists in the salt for many years.

You'll learn real fast that they are not salt resistant. If you don't practice daily maintenance, then you're going to have problems
The paint will blister and the springs will corrode and it's not just a matter of rinsing it off.
When possible, I'd break down the reel after every outing to wash it completely, spray everything down with WD40 and oil the springs.
The spring behind the little "penis" on the back of the spool is the most vulnerable, but the one behind the ratchet is the hardest to get to.
When I couldn't get to the daily maintenance, I'd soak the reel over night in a bucket of fresh water.

I'd still use Medalists in the salt if it wasn't such a pain.
I have a 1598 that I break out once in a while but the constant maintenance makes it less fun.