Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brings back fond memories

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Never tried them

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I have around 20 old glass rods but very few are in the condition of those that you've posted pictures of lately
That's mostly because I have a spending limit. $30
I can buy a rod for $20 or $25, play with it for a while and then get another

There's plenty that might make better tomato stakes, but the majority are well worth owning
For instance, the rod here with the LLBean label is actually an H-I build from the 1950s
It throws a full line without even trying ;)

napawino

Reaction score
I know my poll is rather silly, asking people in the glass forum if they like glass rods. ;) It's like asking people in Utah if they like string beans. :D

silver creek

Reaction score
I know my poll is rather silly, asking people in the glass forum if they like glass rods. ;) It's like asking people in Utah if they like string beans. :D
I think an interesting poll would be if there could only be one rod material they could fish with would it be:
1. Bamboo
2. Fiberglass
3. Graphite
My choice would be graphite since it has the potential to cover all rod rod weights and rod lengths. Fortunately we are not limited and can choose what pleases us.

napawino

Reaction score
For me, it's a bit of a nostalgia trip. I never fished a graphite rod until I was an adult. My younger years were full of Fenwicks, Shakespeares, and Eagle Claw rods. Some fly rods, and some spinning rods.

When I was 12 I caught a 48lb king salmon off the coast of Neah Bay, WA using a Fenwick fly rod. I won the Boeing fishing derby in Seattle one year, using an Eagle Claw salmon rod. I think I was probably 8 or 9 when I caught a 4lb rainbow out of the Potholes Reservoir in eastern WA using a Wonderod. So glass rods hold LOTS of great memories for me.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
For me, it's a bit of a nostalgia trip. I never fished a graphite rod until I was an adult. My younger years were full of Fenwicks, Shakespeares, and Eagle Claw rods. Some fly rods, and some spinning rods.

When I was 12 I caught a 48lb king salmon off the coast of Neah Bay, WA using a Fenwick fly rod. I won the Boeing fishing derby in Seattle one year, using an Eagle Claw salmon rod. I think I was probably 8 or 9 when I caught a 4lb rainbow out of the Potholes Reservoir in eastern WA using a Wonderod. So glass rods hold LOTS of great memories for me.
Notice your from/at Lk. Stevens; tonne of great memories of the lake as a teenager. Good friends family owned a '2nd home right on the lake. Boat dock, fast boat for water skiing, etc. Bunch of us darned near lived there much of the summer.:D

fae

napawino

Reaction score
Notice your from/at Lk. Stevens; tonne of great memories of the lake as a teenager. Good friends family owned a '2nd home right on the lake. Boat dock, fast boat for water skiing, etc. Bunch of us darned near lived there much of the summer.:D

fae
I've lived here only a couple of years. Haven't fish it much. But I did catch a pretty huge largemouth last summer, right from shore on the north end of the lake.

napawino

Reaction score
And one from the early 70's.

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

And a green one.

Last edited:

tcorfey

Reaction score
Here is a Wonderod from the 1950's. Very accurate but it does have some weight. It also has the snaplock spring loaded reel seat.

I should take some pictures of my other fiberglass rods...

Regards,

Tim C.

napawino

Reaction score
I think the J.C. Higgins 312 on my Wonderod A1280B makes a pretty decent looking combo.

Edit:

I was just out in the rainy back yard doing some casting with the A1280B and this W&McG reel with some cheap old 7wt line. I did quite well. I was hitting some hula hoop targets at 65 feet with relative ease.

Last edited:

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I have an old Wonderod, it was a gift from my sister when I graduated 8th grade (if I remember correctly; maybe it was high school graduation, but I seem to recall using that rod throughout high school). Anyway, it is a 9-weight that I still use for saltwater fishing. It was my only rod for many years, until I started accumulating tackle a couple years ago.

midge1

Reaction score
I have a Shakespeare Wonder Rod from the early '60's, I use it and like it. When I started it was all I had to use so I had no choice and have since bought a couple of new graphite rods. It still get used once in a while.

timd

Reaction score
My first real fly rod was a Wonderod back in the early 60s that I gave away in the 80s. Looking for a little nostalgia I bought one on EBay that has never been fished, still in the original tube. Essentially brand new! It's the Presidential model and when I took it out in the yard and cast it I couldn't believe how far we've come with rod technology. It was fun, but I think I will put it back on EBay.

rs0i

Reaction score
Napawino: You have a picture of my model above, except it is a different length, No. FY-120-7' 9"! I bought it in 1967 or thereabouts. The Shakespeare site says to use a DT7F or WF8F. I just relined my Pfluerger Medalist 1494, also from 1967, with a 7 weight line and hope to use it for bass or Delaware trout.

It's a little heavy compared to my Orvis H2 or Sage Circa, duh, but it will be fun if I tie into something.