Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy old glass rods?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love them

12 52.17%
  • Hate them

0 0%
  • Brings back fond memories

6 26.09%
  • Never tried them

5 21.74%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default A Few Wonderods. Oldies.

I get a big kick out of old glass rods.

Last edited by napawino; 05-09-2017 at 03:50 PM.

2. Likes kentuckysteve, johnnymaltby liked this post

Default Re: A couple Wonderods. One old, one older.

I have around 20 old glass rods but very few are in the condition of those that you've posted pictures of lately
    That's mostly because I have a spending limit. $30
    I can buy a rod for $20 or $25, play with it for a while and then get another

There's plenty that might make better tomato stakes, but the majority are well worth owning
    For instance, the rod here with the LLBean label is actually an H-I build from the 1950s
    It throws a full line without even trying

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

4. Likes kentuckysteve, lake flyer, karstopo liked this post

I know my poll is rather silly, asking people in the glass forum if they like glass rods. It's like asking people in Utah if they like string beans.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Thumbs up Re: A couple Wonderods. One old, one older.

I even have a couple of 'glass' spey rods; both of them could halt a run-away horse.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Quote Originally Posted by napawino View Post
    I know my poll is rather silly, asking people in the glass forum if they like glass rods. It's like asking people in Utah if they like string beans.
    I think an interesting poll would be if there could only be one rod material they could fish with would it be:
    1. Bamboo
    2. Fiberglass
    3. Graphite
    My choice would be graphite since it has the potential to cover all rod rod weights and rod lengths. Fortunately we are not limited and can choose what pleases us.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

For me, it's a bit of a nostalgia trip. I never fished a graphite rod until I was an adult. My younger years were full of Fenwicks, Shakespeares, and Eagle Claw rods. Some fly rods, and some spinning rods.

When I was 12 I caught a 48lb king salmon off the coast of Neah Bay, WA using a Fenwick fly rod. I won the Boeing fishing derby in Seattle one year, using an Eagle Claw salmon rod. I think I was probably 8 or 9 when I caught a 4lb rainbow out of the Potholes Reservoir in eastern WA using a Wonderod. So glass rods hold LOTS of great memories for me.

9. Likes fredaevans liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by napawino View Post
    For me, it's a bit of a nostalgia trip. I never fished a graphite rod until I was an adult. My younger years were full of Fenwicks, Shakespeares, and Eagle Claw rods. Some fly rods, and some spinning rods.

When I was 12 I caught a 48lb king salmon off the coast of Neah Bay, WA using a Fenwick fly rod. I won the Boeing fishing derby in Seattle one year, using an Eagle Claw salmon rod. I think I was probably 8 or 9 when I caught a 4lb rainbow out of the Potholes Reservoir in eastern WA using a Wonderod. So glass rods hold LOTS of great memories for me.
    Notice your from/at Lk. Stevens; tonne of great memories of the lake as a teenager. Good friends family owned a '2nd home right on the lake. Boat dock, fast boat for water skiing, etc. Bunch of us darned near lived there much of the summer.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
    Notice your from/at Lk. Stevens; tonne of great memories of the lake as a teenager. Good friends family owned a '2nd home right on the lake. Boat dock, fast boat for water skiing, etc. Bunch of us darned near lived there much of the summer.

fae
    I've lived here only a couple of years. Haven't fish it much. But I did catch a pretty huge largemouth last summer, right from shore on the north end of the lake.

And one from the early 70's.

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

And a green one.
    Last edited by napawino; 05-09-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast