Looking for

pnc

Reaction score
Have been acquiring glass rods of late. Looking for an 8' - 7w. Can not find size & weight. Have looked also at graphite. But would like glass for durability.
Started looking at spinning and other blanks. Trying to avoid guessing game. But can't find anyone selling blanks that has a clue.
Can anyone point me in right direction ? Appreciate it.

TIA........ pc

karstopo

Reaction score
Affinity M - CTS Fishing

They do an 8' 7weight medium action in carbon or a carbon blend. They also do custom design your own blanks. They do crossover spin/fly blanks. I have no experience with this outfit. They do seem to offer many different lengths in many different weight ratings.

brownbass

Reaction score
A question, aren't fiberglass rods fairly forgiving about line weight. If you want a 7 weight you could use an eight and line down or a six and line up? I have an older graphite that is a six or seven depending on the line. But back then you just bought your line and didn't have the heavier that or true to weight lines that we have today. Or maybe I didn't notice, my first outfit had a level eight weight line.

feeling old,
Bill

jayr

Reaction score
Although not exactly what you're looking for, Steffen Brothers makes an 8'6" 6/7 weight blank.

horsehead

Reaction score
eBay, look for a Fenwick FF80 or FF807. Eight foot seven weights were thr vintage glass equivalent of today's 9' 5wts. There are a bazillion out there.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

troutnut4

Reaction score
I have a Steffen 4/5 weight and it's my go to rod for Brookies. Lays out 45 feet with the Rio Gold #5. I spoke to Mark before having the rod built (Tightloop) and he told me it was a beefy #4, so a bit faster with a #4 or a little slower #5. Fits my style of casting. It took me 4 months to get from date of order.George Minculete is always busy. I believe that Mark Steffen says up to 3 months from his shop. That's what you get from a custom builder and sometimes a lot longer. These modern day glass rods are not like your grandfather's old Fenwick. I would be interested to know what the #6/7 casts like but I don't need anything heavier than a #5 for my type of fishing.:punk:

pnc

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for all the imput. Have to admit this had taken a backseat. Trying to get ready for club trip in 2 weeks.
Today was my lucky day. Picked up 8' #6........ yes #6. Tried 6, 7, & 8w lines when I got home. 7 worked like a charm. 8 would be second choice. 6 needs to much line outside tip to load (unless short cast start at 75').
Can not remember name (label missing, glue remains). Brown rod, brown aluminum reel seat (down locking), with Gold colored caps and knurled nob. Listening to history lead to more conversation. And I forgot name. I remember being told rod was advertised as "power butt fast taper" and it was one of the fastest of the time (felt kinda like a med graphite with 7w). Was impressed and surprised by action, from a glass rod. Guides need changing, and cork also.
If I get it done in time. It will make the trip to Alligator ally in 2 weeks. But it is meant for the salt.

....... pc