Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  20
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: ECHO BAG Quickshot

Quote Originally Posted by mjkirshner View Post
    Do you think the SA Redfish Warm 7-wt line will be too light for the BAG 7?
    I have no experience with that particular line. I've toyed around with a few different lines on each of the BAG rods I own and if I was going to err one way or another, I'd probably opt to underline them, especially if you are coming from a background in graphite. While relatively fast for glass, they are still going to feel slower than your graphite rods and so overlining an already "slow" rod might not be optimal. Or, if you really want to cast short up in the weeds at snook, maybe it'd work. As you mention, it's probably not ideal to buy a rod based on what line/s you currently have, the rod will likely long outlive any line you have.

Quote Originally Posted by mjkirshner View Post
    Do you think the SA Redfish Warm 7-wt line will be too light for the BAG 7? It is a little lighter than the line that Echo recommends for the 7, and a little heavier than their recommendation for the 6. I'd like to use the line that I already have, but on the other hand, I don't want to get the wrong rod just to avoid buying a different line. On the other other hand, I don't own a 7, and I have at least one of every other from 4 to 9. I have been obsessing (do fly-fishers really obsess over gear?) about getting a 7-wt, so maybe this is the time.
    I apologize if this isnít the exact answer youíre looking for, but I have an Echo BAG 8 and have cast it with lines from 6wt to 9wt with excellent results. Often, these glass rods are much more forgiving with line weight than graphite in my experience. I actually really liked the feeling of the lighter lines better on this rod, but maybe thatís just me. I think youíd have zero issues with a lighter 7 line as opposed to the 7 they recommend. Just my $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by flntknp17 View Post
    I apologize if this isnít the exact answer youíre looking for, but I have an Echo BAG 8 and have cast it with lines from 6wt to 9wt with excellent results. Often, these glass rods are much more forgiving with line weight than graphite in my experience. I actually really liked the feeling of the lighter lines better on this rod, but maybe thatís just me. I think youíd have zero issues with a lighter 7 line as opposed to the 7 they recommend. Just my $0.02
    I appreciate the response; however, it is moot at this point. I ended up ordering the 6-wt, and while I kinda liked it, I didn't like it $279 worth. As others have said, it is not really a slow rod, as I guess most glass rods are, so I found that it felt to me like casting a heavy graphite rod. I was expecting a different kind of feel, and it just didn't feel like what I expected. As flntknp17 predicted, it cast the 7-wt line just fine and also cast a 6-wt Rio Bonefish line nicely. It was also very accurate, but after a few minutes casting at targets in the back yard, I could really feel the weight. It didn't seem like a rod I would have fun casting for hours. I have heard that glass is more fun to fight a fish with, and didn't have the chance to do that, but I just didn't "click" with the rod, so it was sent back. I exchanged it for a Sage Foundation, and it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. It's a 5-wt rather than 6, but I think that will fit my needs fine. I look forward to pairing it up with the Galvan Brookie I just bought and having another "All American" outfit. I have no issue with non-US made gear, and own several rods and reels built elsewhere, but domestic-made just feels that much better. That said, when the smoke cleared, I ended up with an Allen Kraken 2 lined with 7-wt SA Redfish Warm, and no rod to go with it. So I rolled the dice and ordered a $50 Maxcatch 7-wt that I can pair with the Kraken for taking on the SUP. The Kraken is a Dorado (electric green and blue), the line is aqua and light green, and the rod also has a green finish, so it should be a very funky looking outfit, just perfect for messing around with on a SUP. For 50 bucks it seemed like worth a shot, as my other option was to spend a lot on a good 7-wt that I don't need, or sell the Kraken online at a loss that was likely to be more than $50.
    People complain about the humidity in Florida... but no one's ever had to shovel humidity to get to his car.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123